April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Tyl's sketches and doodles

28 Jul 2014 22:08 #4466 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Tyl's sketches and doodles
I certainly echo that! Markers are difficult to use!

Adam Hughes does a lot of his work in markers I believe, so if it's good enough for him... !

Great sketch work here Tyl. Really nice!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2014 01:27 #4485 by bergy68
Replied by bergy68 on topic Tyl's sketches and doodles
Looks great Tyl. I've been thinking of picking up some of those markers. They ain't cheep thou.

29 Jul 2014 06:31 #4495 by Tyl
Replied by Tyl on topic Tyl's sketches and doodles
Thank you all.
They are quite expensive. 4,46€ per marker. (2,5£). If you want to do full color it can cost. It's best that you buy also Some Copic paper because it's bleedproof! I wanted to use the markers in a new sketchbook but the ink bleeds right through te paper.
Drawing with the markers is a bit challenging. You need to have a pretty good idea of what you want the end result to look like. There is no PS history panel to go some steps back in the proces. Also something to keep in mind is that when the ink dries it becomes like 25% lighter. But I like it and will try to doodle with them regularly.

29 Jul 2014 21:30 #4534 by Tyl
Maybe a start of something.

Attachments:

29 Jul 2014 22:04 #4535 by ClaudeCrow
I feel like this could be a "I've seen enough..." moment ;)

But seriously this is looking like a really nice start. Nice colour and lighting. The tetradecahedropus looks awesome with his big head. So much so I actually think I'm more interested in seeing how he turns out than the girl :)

29 Jul 2014 22:56 #4544 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Tyl's sketches and doodles

The tetradecahedropus looks awesome

The whaaa....? :blink:

I agree with Claude. This is looking fantastic already. It looks like marker work. Is it?

My favourite thing about it is the chunkiness and weight of the characters. They feel physical, tactile. A great start!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

30 Jul 2014 06:28 #4550 by Kodabble
Replied by Kodabble on topic Tyl's sketches and doodles
Are you sure there are only 14? Agree the colors are looking really good.

30 Jul 2014 08:27 #4555 by Tyl
Tetradecahedropus sounds really fantastic, Claude. :lol: If I render this one out I will name the piece like that.
After I did the Copic marker girl I was pencil-doodling a monster. And yesterday I had the idea to wrap that monster around the girl. I didn’t count the tentacles though; I kept adding tentacles until the composition felt right. Seems that 14 does the trick.
I started a thumbnail (2x2”) pencil sketch that I traced with a fine Copic multiliner. Then photographed it with the iPad. Imported it in Sketchbook Pro and started searching for a nice color scheme to start from. The marker look is because in this fase I don’t go in detail and don’t spend much time on it, I just go rough. I also haven’t found the best settings yet for my custom brushes in Sketchbook Pro. Still learning how to use the app in the best way.
The rendering will be done in Photoshop on the Cintiq, that’s the most comfortable configuration for me. Maybe this weekend I’ll have/make some time.

30 Jul 2014 09:26 #4556 by Tyl
Just to show the previous step.

Attachments:

30 Jul 2014 11:40 #4567 by Digital Dave
Odd, I actually posted to this yesterday, but it doesn't seem to have taken? (HAL???) ... I basically said it's looking quite nice and I like the layout. And just pointed out though it's still early, you may want to take a look at her arms. The left (her right) appears to be disconnected at the elbow, and the forearm section is too short in length. And the right one (her left) appears to be too long from shoulder to elbow. and again, the forearm appears too short.

Looking forward to watching the process on it.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D