April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Mute Sketchbook

15 Jul 2014 23:29 #3044 by mute827
Mute Sketchbook was created by mute827
Some of these are old and some are fairly recent. I tend to sketch messy because it helps me find happy mistakes and shape out my idea. Plus I like the way it looks. Seems to give the sketch more life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jul 2014 23:37 #3046 by mute827

15 Jul 2014 23:51 #3047 by mute827
Replied by mute827 on topic Mute Sketchbook

16 Jul 2014 00:11 #3048 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Mute Sketchbook
Great to see your sketches (and you) back on the forums Mute. Theres such life in your sketches with the 'messy' way you work and such dynamism too. I've begun to throw down my ideas in a similar way but I really struggle to refine them toward a finished piece when im happy with the sketch. Any tips on how you begin to move them toward colour and solid tone after the initial sketch? I currently spend ages cleaning them up or simply throw a new layer down and trace. Either way I end up losing all that movement and energy and they become stilted.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

16 Jul 2014 04:12 - 16 Jul 2014 04:13 #3059 by mute827
Replied by mute827 on topic Mute Sketchbook
Thanks Atto. I usually use a chalk or textured brush with the opacity set to 60-80% depending on the brush because I like the way it looks. Photoshop default brushes will be fine for this. I also have pen pressure set. Then I pick a dark grey for the foreground color on the tools panel and set the background color to white. Doing this makes it easy for me to paint in or out lines by switching between the 2 colors with out flipping my pen all the time to use the eraser. To do this just use the "X" key to switch your brush color between the foreground and background color. Feels more like you are painting then sketching. It also gives it a messy look when you paint out parts of a line. I usually don't really have an idea of what I want to sketch so I start by lightly sketching in guide lines to show the direction I want the face to look. Then I loosely put in the lines to indicate the facial features. From there, if I don't know what I want to do still, I lightly lay in lines to try and build something. I don't focus on detail lines but try to establish the outline of some sort of silhouette and make sure it has weight. From there it's just constantly adding, subtracting, and indicating detail. During the process I make the lines I want to stand out a little darker. I might spend hours on the same sketch because I'm doing multiple versions, trying different things. Also I usually make my brush a little thick and try no to reduce it even when working on small detailed lines. It's best to stay zoomed out to the point where your entire canvas fits on the screen through the whole process. I can show you my process of solid tone from the sketch but I might have to do screen shots to better explain it. I'm still figuring out the process my self, so I don't know how much you would learn from it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

16 Jul 2014 04:49 #3064 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Mute Sketchbook
Cool to hear how work up your sketches. I also like the loose but strong presents you get with them. I'm also trying some of these things, as well as working quickly when sketching, so I don't over think things too much. I find that most of time the image finds you, unless you have something specific in mind from the start. ... But I like the surprise images better. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

16 Jul 2014 05:11 #3065 by Stuart
Replied by Stuart on topic Mute Sketchbook
The kunoichi one needs finishing. :)

16 Jul 2014 08:33 #3074 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Mute Sketchbook
Thanks Mute that's so much more info than I was hoping for. I'm gonna try this and see what comes out as I wasn't working as close to the way you do as I thought.
Any info you could give regarding the next step of solid tone from sketch would be awesome.
Thanks for spending the time to answer in such a detailed way

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

16 Jul 2014 15:37 #3097 by Smolin
Replied by Smolin on topic Mute Sketchbook
Fabulous. Your sketch technique is really great and brings so much life and energy to the work.

16 Jul 2014 16:26 - 16 Jul 2014 16:26 #3104 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Mute Sketchbook
Thanks for sharing Mute! This sort of stuff is just what I need to make me pick up my pencil (or stylus!) and just get sketching again!

And now that the summer holidays are here, that's just what I am going to do!!

These are all really interesting and dynamic. The one that stands out for me is the Harley Quinn sketch. Mostly it's because I am a massive fan of character art that shows heroes and villains in ordinary domestic situations. But, also because I am pathetically single and like how she's posed!.... :S

... woe is me!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!