April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

19 Sep 2021 10:38 #36679 by Charlotte
Your Sith turned out great! Regarding your next one I think everything looks fine except the hands look like the thumbs are on the other side of the shield but the edge of the shield is much higher up, so that's impossible... If she's holding her hands on top of the shield I think we'd see her thumbs, too. And also the star on her chest looks very flat and "perfect", whereas the body underneath is not flat at all.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Sep 2021 10:50 #36681 by Banj
Yep, the hands don't make any sense. It looks as if you had her holding the edge of the shield, then expanded the shield and didn't move the hands to fit. The star as Charlotte said isn't following the form of the chest. There's a bad tangent with the top edge of the glove and the waterline in the background (the top of the belt kind of creates the same issue to a lesser extent). The arms are different proportions to one another, one upper arm is shorter than the other and the forearm on the opposite side is longer than the other one. That could have been down to perspective if it wasn't for the fact that the hands fall in the same place meaning the arms are in the same position and angle. 

19 Sep 2021 15:31 #36684 by cgmythology
Charlotte:  Thank you!  You're feedback was very helpful with the Sith piece so I'm glad you enjoy the final!  Excellent input regarding the new sketch, just applied your feedback on the sketch!

Banj:  Correct you are!  I didn't want the arms to be too symmetrical, but it seems I messed up the anatomy in the process which is no good!  Just made the changes, hopefully it looks more natural now.

Updated the sketch based on the feedback I received, hopefully this is better!

Attachments:

26 Sep 2021 13:34 #36830 by cgmythology
I painted in the image, pretty pleased with how it turned out, especially in regards to the skin tones and lighting.  I think I'm calling it finished for now, unless something major is off, so please let me know!  Below is the final image followed by some steps for those interested:

Next up is a sketch for a new painting;  Wanted to draw the Batman himself, and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  I attached the finished sketch here, any input would be appreciated before I begin the painting process!

Attachments:

26 Sep 2021 14:50 #36835 by Valence
I love what you did with the hair. The cool light bleeding across the top is very convincing.

04 Oct 2021 16:15 - 05 Oct 2021 05:37 #37020 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you, that was a lot of fun to tackle!!..............Finished the painting process; the values gave me a bit of trouble in the beginning but eventually I was able to get them the way I had them in mind.  Attached the final plus the steps for those interested.  I'm calling it done for now, unless there's something major that is off so please let me know! 

Attachments:

05 Oct 2021 07:46 #37029 by cgmythology
And on to the next illustration!  I started this Wonder Woman sketch quite some time ago, around the Xmas time of last year but decided to paint it in just recently.  For reference I used a great cosplay photo I found online (you can check it out  here ), although I opted to draw her in a bit more dynamic fashion, along with going for the likeness of Gad Gadot, the actress from the films.  I'm about ready to begin painting this one in, so I would be really appreciate of any input on the sketch before doing so, so kindly let me know!  Here is the sketch: 

Attachments:

05 Oct 2021 11:22 - 05 Oct 2021 11:23 #37030 by Valence
Wonderful Batman picture. :aha:
The comic style framing works really well and the lighting gives the scene so much depth. Also those droplets are very realistic. They made me want to wipe my screen clean. :lol:
The only thing I'd consider tweaking is that breathy cloud of vapour and the shadow beneath, particularly the way they obscure the symbol on his chest. If I'd painted a Batman so well I'd definitely want to show off that logo a bit more. :)

05 Oct 2021 11:31 #37032 by Charlotte
The one thing, to me, is the hand holding the shield. For one thing it looks a bit small, even trying to take foreshortening into account (maybe because the size of the thigh right next to it doesn't seem smaller due to distance?) but also because I can't figure out quite how she's holding her arm for it to end up in that position. It seems too high, but maybe if the upper arm is almost horizontal, it isn't. Maybe it's the angle between shield and arm? I'm not sure, it just looks a bit off somehow... :dry: Sorry I can't be more helpful :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

09 Oct 2021 07:26 #37124 by cgmythology
Valence: Glad to hear it! Great point about the logo, might take some artistic license and lighten it up a bit, we'll see!

Charlotte: Thanks for your input!  I made it slightly bigger and altered it's position somewhat, hopefully it looks more natural now that it's fully painted.  Please let me know!.................

I finished up the painting process for Wonder Woman, pretty pleased with how it turned out.  I would love some final feedback if possible before publishing elsewhere just to ensure it's as good as possible, so if something feels off please let me know!  Below is the image followed by the steps for those interested, hope you dig! 

Attachments: