April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

10 Jul 2021 20:49 #35714 by Valence
Looks good. The yellow glow is a bit intense at the moment but you usually control the colours perfectly at the end of your pictures and I'm sure you'll do the same with this one. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Aug 2021 17:50 #36042 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you!  I agree about the orange light, I toned it down a bit and I feel it works much better now!

....................I did a significant amount of work to the image based on the input I've received, and detailed it heavily to the best of my ability.  I think I'm calling it finished for now, pretty pleased with how the image turned out so I will move forward with a new image.  Thanks again to anyone that offered any input or advice, always appreciate it!  Here is the final image, hope you enjoy!

Attachments:

18 Aug 2021 18:12 - 18 Aug 2021 18:12 #36045 by Valence
I really do like the flowers in the background at the top. They're so well integrated into the scene and even have a depth to them that makes the whole environment believable. You can really see how much work has gone into that. Very well done.
The only things that slightly catch my eye are the two lower butterflies. The one in the glare of the light is perfect but the other two do look a little "stuck on". Maybe it's the high contrast of the black on the wings that's making them stand out too much? :hmm:
If time permits then it might be worthwhile to experiment in just knocking that back a little but even without doing that it's still a terrific and effective picture
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

27 Aug 2021 07:06 #36228 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you!  I spent a lot of time on the flowers and foilage so I'm glad to hear that!  The butterflies could be better integrated I agree, the contrast is probably a bit too high for it's own good.  Might rework them in the near future, thanks for your honesty!

.................. I'm in the mood to paint some Star Wars art, so I chose to draw a Sith.  The figure was referenced from Jagged Eye via DeviantArt here .  I did my best to stick closely to the general pose of the figure, while taking a lot of artistic liberties on the costume design.  Spent a lot of time on the sketch as usual, really just makes things easier and faster to paint.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as always!

Attachments:

27 Aug 2021 12:00 #36238 by Valence
The straightness of that edge across the top of the shoulders looks a little stiff and awkward. Everything else looks excellent. :thumbup:

27 Aug 2021 14:19 #36240 by Charlotte
I actually find the legs a little awkward. I looked at the ref, and of course the legs aren't exactly visible :P But in comparison, your character kind of seem to be missing a bum. I agree with Val about the shoulders as well, although the shape of the armour would have an influence. 

I did a little draw over - things that deviate a bit much from the ref, in blue, and the two things I think would be improved with an adjustment of the location are marked by arrows. I did try to account for your character being slimmer than the ref which is more muscular. 

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

27 Aug 2021 15:42 #36241 by Banj
The position of the fingers on the hand on the right of the image suggests the lightsabre is being held at a more vertical angle pointing more straight down instead of at the angle you have it.

27 Aug 2021 17:02 #36242 by Charlotte

The position of the fingers on the hand on the right of the image suggests the lightsabre is being held at a more vertical angle pointing more straight down instead of at the angle you have it.

I missed that, but the ref certainly holds that weapon slightly more vertically. And personally I think it might look better to not have the two lightsabres perfectly parallell, as well. 

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

19 Sep 2021 03:51 - 19 Sep 2021 03:51 #36676 by cgmythology
Valence:  Thank you!  Fixed the shoulder issue as well.

Charlotte:  Excellent points you made, and I appreciate the fixed you made!  I incorporated all your feedback, and I think it's better now.  Thanks again!

Banj:  I updated the hands/fingers a bit, changed the angle slightly so hopefully it looks more natural now!

Charlotte:  I agree about the sabers, just changed the angle as well!

I finished up the painting process and everything went pretty smoothly.  Pretty happy with how this image turned out.  Attached the final and a step by step animation for those interested, hope you dig!

Attachments:

19 Sep 2021 05:16 #36677 by cgmythology
Time for a new painting!  I just finished a sketch for a female Captain America illustration, spent a ton of time on this one (especially on the costume!) and am very pleased with how it turned out.  Before I begin the painting process, I would love to hear any input or feedback for the sketch, as this just makes things easier for me going forward.  Here is the sketch:

Attachments: