April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

30 May 2021 14:38 #35090 by Valence
Oooh, I like the background foliage. Is it a custom brush? If so it's a very good one used particularly well with a nice variety of shape and angle. It all fits believably into the landscape and helps to show that transition of depth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jun 2021 06:51 #35171 by cgmythology
Valence: Thank you, and yes it is a custom brush! Glad to hear it works well! :)

I'm ready to begin working on a new illustration! I wanted to do something simpler this time so I opted for a portrait, this time depicting an Warcraft-inspired Orc which should make for some fun subject matter. I worked on the sketch a great deal, very pleased with how it turned out although I would very much appreciate some feedback before the painting process, just to make sure I get everything right. Here is the sketch:

Attachments:

05 Jun 2021 14:37 #35201 by Valence
All that chainmail looks like hard work. Good luck with that. :)

13 Jun 2021 09:27 #35325 by cgmythology
Valence: Indeed, the rendering took quite some time to get right, had to give it multiple passes but overall I'm satisficed with how it turned out, so it was well worth it!

I worked on the Orc a great deal, put a lot of effort into this one and it came out much more realistic than I thought it would, but I feel it works well. Here is the final image followed by a step by step animation, hope you enjoy!

Attachments:

14 Jun 2021 15:47 #35353 by Banj
He could maybe do with a bit of shadow in the right of his face cast by the chainmail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

20 Jun 2021 06:32 #35424 by cgmythology
Banj: Great point, I did add a shadow there at some point but it was too subtle and seems to have gotten lost during the painting process. Might go back to rework it at some point, great input!

I started on a new sketch, the goal for this one is to create something that looks like it came from the 'Victorian' era which I'm a huge of. I spent a lot of time on this sketch to bring the details to life, and I'm overall satisfied with it. The figures' poses were referenced from www.deviantart.com/fantasystock/art/Ryan...29328205FantasyStock as well - tried to be as faithful as possible to the poses while taking a lot of artistic liberties such as the character designs and costuming. Please feel free to let me know any input, as I'd like the sketch to be as good as possible before I begin painting this one!

Attachments:

20 Jun 2021 08:03 #35426 by Charlotte
I think it looks lovely already. The only thing that catches my eye is the shape of the "chest trim" on her dress. It shouldn't really disappear into her armpit like it does on the (our) left side.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

27 Jun 2021 17:50 #35521 by cgmythology
Charolotte: Thank you! Great point about the dress, just fixed that :)

I began the painting process and worked on the image a great deal, although it has some ways to go as I want to play up the details as much as I can with this one. Attached the current preview here, any input is appreciated as always!

Attachments:

30 Jun 2021 15:23 #35549 by Atto
I’ve not been around for a while and one of the few pleasures of that is catching up with peoples art in one fell swoop!
Great work again CG.
I’m in hospital at the moment so I may just be trying to fill my time with something meaningful so please take the following with a pinch of salt, I’m very aware I may be over critical here.
Something I always find hard to equate in my head with mermaids is why their lower half always seems to suggest two legs as it reaches their midriff. I know most photos of them appear like that due to the practicalities of the costume but surely a real mermaid wouldn’t be built in that way. Maybe there’s something I’m missing in fish anatomy that explains it as all artists seem to follow the formula, I don’t know but at least researching fish anatomy will keep me busy tomorrow.
Your orc is awesome but I feel the hand that grips the hilt of his sword would have more orange hued lighting on it and his ear on the same side would be darker with just a little rim light and a hint of bright green translucency?
My knowledge of orc anatomy and it’s effect on the translucent areas of the body is even more limited than my knowledge of fish.
I really get that feeling of Victorian art from your most recent piece and understand the whole romantic notions that underpinned their compositions so this may be even further off the mark than the last two but……
The position of his sword and her dress bother me a little here. It’s almost as if she has sat down on the grass, positioned her dress and then our hero has just happened to plop right down in her lap, gently laying his sword to one side as he does so.
If that’s the staged composition you’re going for then you’ve hit the nail on the head and reading your description I’m guessing that’s the case.
Sorry that was so long but there’s not much to do here.
Great work anyway!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

09 Jul 2021 14:25 #35694 by cgmythology
Atto: Thanks for your response, always great to hear from you! Sad to hear you're at the hospital, wish you a full recovery, hopefully you won't stay there too long! Regarding the mermaid issue, I think it's just a matter of preference. To me it feels more natural to suggest there are legs 'inside', just looks more 'correct' to me, but again, it's all fantasy, so who's to say?! :D

The Orc was a bit tricky in regards to the tones, I'm used to painting flesh tones but hopefully the skin feels pretty natural here. Interesting feedback regarding the sword placement on my latest WIP, I've grown accustomed to it since I've worked on it for so long, I just feel it adds a lot to the image so I think I'll leave it there for now! Thanks again for your honest input and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Here's the current progress, it's come quite a long way. Refined and detailed the image as a whole. It still has some ways to go as I want to push for as many details as possible so I'll continue working on it. Any input would be appreciated!

Attachments: