April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

18 Jun 2018 13:59 #21474 by cgmythology
Apologies for the late reply, had an issue logging in but it's fixed now!

Valence: Thank you!

Charlotte: Excellent point regarding the hips, thanks for taking the time to correct it, very much appreciate it. I updated the image with the hips fixed, and will implement your other feedback when I merge all the layers on the figure as it's easier that way!

Here is the current update, fixed the hips and painted in lighter and darker values for more contrast... Pretty pleased with how it's coming along so far:

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jun 2018 06:10 #21493 by cgmythology
Worked on the image some more, mostly defining the foreground and background. It's coming together, should have it completed fairly soon. Feedback welcome as always!

File Attachment:

23 Jun 2018 19:38 #21494 by Valence
Great work on the clouds. They add so much depth and drama to the image.

I'd like to see the lightning become a little more jagged. The bit that connects the helmet and hammer looks perfect so if you can get that style in the other forked bits then it'll look awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

30 Jun 2018 11:08 #21530 by cgmythology
Valence: Thanks, I tried to apply the lighting to the other bits as well

I'm calling the image finished, below is the final illustration. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback, always very much appreciated!

File Attachment:

13 Jul 2018 11:14 #21643 by Digital Dave
Looks nice. Really like the lighting.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

13 Jul 2018 17:02 #21649 by cgmythology
Digital Dave: Thanks, the lighting was a ton of fun to tackle!

I started work on a new illustration for a friend. We both thought of the same concept, depicting her as a mermaid, so that was pretty cool. I just finalized the sketch; Will begin painting it soon, but please feel free to post any feedback!

File Attachment:

13 Jul 2018 19:18 #21651 by Charlotte
Looks like it will make a very pretty picture, though I think her anatomy could use more work... Basically I think the entire area from shoulders to knees could be improved on. Did you have a ref for her pose?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

15 Jul 2018 21:41 #21655 by Valence
Fantastic face you've sketched out there. Already looks good.

The waist/hip area looks a bit flat and that isn't helped by the rather linear scale pattern (although I realise that it's just a sketchy placeholder that you'd probably be changing anyway as it develops.)
You just need to get a bit more of a twist into the form around there.

28 Jul 2018 14:36 #21787 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thanks, I reworked the sketch a bit to try to improve it. I'm looking at a reference for the basic pose: i43.photobucket.com/albums/e394/cgaddict..._zps3zwthlrz.jpgLink

Valence: Thanks, I tried to refine it more hopefully it looks better now!

I reworked the sketch a bit to emphasize the gesture more as well as changed the fishtail a bit for something more natural looking. I blocked in the local colors and worked a bit on the background gradients and values. Still very early, but I'm satisfied with the color theme so far.

File Attachment:

28 Jul 2018 16:54 #21790 by Charlotte
I think you've found a very good reference, but I also feel you haven't actually addressed the issues with her anatomy... So, I did some "line overs" - blue lines are following the ref image and pink are the changes I would suggest to her shape to make it more natural and also less stiff.

Mind you, the knee area is a change I suggest because I never liked the idea that mermaids have legs and knees like people inside the tail, so if that's the kind of mermaid you want to paint, you should definitely keep the knee as it is now.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology