April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

07 Feb 2017 15:56 #15236 by Charlotte
I didn't have time for much feedback earlier since I was at work, but darn you for working so fast! I do have a few comments on the linework of that face... Like Val says it's a difficult pose to pull off. And it seems to me that your linework hasn't quite decided on which angle it's going for.... If you want us to see as much of the face as we do, we'd also see more of the bridge of his nose. If you want the pose to be as extreme as the nose suggests, we'd see considerably less of his forehead. Also it seems to me that the upper edges of the ears join with the jawline, rather than the lower edge.

I did a quick scribble over, first to show how I think the chin would curve, the ears attach and more of the nose show, and then I did a sketch on top of a stock photo of a similar pose. With that person's shoulders in the same place and same size head, the features match (position of eyes, nose, mouth) but end up much higher, with considerably less of the forehead showing.

I'm sure some of these things would be considerably less visible when painted rather than drawn as lines. You have a very vibrant palette most of the time and your finished work looks polished, but I do think you could practice anatomy a bit... Not just this face but I think it's evident in the bodies of Harley Quinn and the alien as well.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Feb 2017 21:33 #15244 by cgmythology
Valence: Thanks! The angle is a bit tricky, I posed for the character myself which was very helpful for the angle.

Charlotte: Thank you, the fix on the face is very useful, definitely going to try to incorporate the jaw specifically by the next update. I agree about practicing anatomy further, I intend to do so after this image is completed... Don't have too much free time at the moment but I'll make more of an effort to commit to studies as opposed to full illustrations.

Made some progress on the painting, using only hard edged brushes at this point, defining form, lighting, etc. Pretty happy with the progress, and I'll keep in mind not to go crazy with over saturation which seems to be a recent bad habit of mine. Any feedback appreciated as always!

File Attachment:

10 Feb 2017 06:25 #15245 by cgmythology
Current progress, pretty pleased with how it's coming along. I altered the central character's jaw and chin a bit to make it look more natural, still needs a bit tweaking, however:

File Attachment:

24 Mar 2017 19:35 #15614 by cgmythology
Taking a break from my Zelda piece to do an illustration of friends with a Steampunk theme. Below is the final sketch:

File Attachment:

24 Mar 2017 20:20 #15615 by cgmythology
First color pass, going for a rich magenta to gold color theme with this, pretty pleased with my color choices so far:

File Attachment:

24 Mar 2017 21:17 #15616 by cgmythology
Been working nonstop on this image, it's starting to come together although it still has ways to go. Focused on rendering form exclusively with hard edged brushes:

File Attachment:

24 Mar 2017 22:39 #15621 by Valence
Yes, I like the colour choices too. The orange glow in the background is lovely.
I think you could use a bigger angle between the guy's upper arm and the top of his shoulder so that you can distinguish his form with edges as well as shading.

I also like the little mechanical character in the top corner. I didn't notice it at first but it made me smile when it caught my eye. :)

25 Mar 2017 07:59 #15622 by cgmythology
Valence: Thank you; I defined the form of the robot character in the background, hopefully it pops out a bit more!

Worked on the image some more, spent quite some time rendering the characters which are seem to coming together. Background still needs a lot of work. Current progress:

File Attachment:

27 Mar 2017 09:14 #15631 by cgmythology
Current progress, it's finally coming together:

File Attachment:

27 Mar 2017 13:21 #15633 by Atto
Good stuff CGM - I do enjoy seeing your progress and how cleanly you work. Theres an almost Futurist element to the way you define the planes, tubular forms and surfaces in your early stages. You always seem to have such a great sense of colour palette right from the get go. Is it something that comes naturally in your minds eye or do you need to work at it like us mere mortals?
I did like the warmer orange and darker blues that you originally had showing in the porthole but I understand the move to lighten it as the rest of the image has lightened.
Wish I had such attractive friends who could model for me!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.