April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGMythology's Sketchbook (nudity)

13 Jul 2014 11:13 #2468 by Domtopia
Yeah, this is coming along really well CG. I do agree with Stu though, it is very saturated at the moment. I am sure you will get to it in the end with an adjustment layer or two.

Lovely work! Keep it up!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2014 14:50 - 13 Jul 2014 14:51 #2486 by cgmythology
Domtopia: I'll see if I can lower the saturation later on, I want this image to be fairly colorful but I guess I might be overdoing it a bit....

Digital Dave: Thank you!

evilrobot: Thanks!

I worked on the image for several more hours, it's finally coming together... Any feedback is always welcome :)
File Attachment:

13 Jul 2014 15:09 #2491 by kazky
I personally would like to see her hips a bit wider, it looks a bit childlike, apart from her boobs obviously :D also her calves are very thin, which makes her ankles look a bit 'cankley' beautiful colours, it's looking great.

Love how you paint skin, fancy making a tutorial George?

13 Jul 2014 15:21 #2497 by Domtopia
The lighting around her chest and breasts is great. I really do agree with Kaz though that the width of her ankles is quite distracting. There are a few potential tangents with the shell ridges too, which will make things tricky.

Personally, I think that her skin is too purple and could do with being adjusted a bit.

13 Jul 2014 16:41 #2513 by Stuart

I'd also say that her breasts are bit too different in size, then again I'd of thought Stuart would have pointed that out if it were so noticeable.. I think that's one of his focus areas anyways.. :)

Lol, you make me sound like a pervert!!

It's coming together a bit more now and actually I think you're coping with the saturation pretty well, it's got a lively quality to it rather than garish.

13 Jul 2014 19:55 #2586 by cgmythology
kazky: Thanks! I altered her waist a bit, I have a bad habit of drawing them too thin, very bad habit of mine. A skin tutorial sounds like fun, I'll get started on it as soon as I'm finished with the painting.

Domtopia: Thank you, I altered the ankles a bit, I think it's the lighting that made them look like that so I changed it up a bit. I adjusted her skin tone as well.

Stuart: LOL, thanks glad the saturation is working for this image, I really didn't want to subdue the colors too much!

Another update, incorporated all the feedback I received, added some more detail here and there and refined the lighting a bit:

File Attachment:

Feedback appreciated as always :)

13 Jul 2014 20:03 #2591 by Charlotte
I think it's coming along very nicely. Anatomy-wise her ankles still look a little clunky compared to the feet (not that I actually know what clunky means but kazky used it and it sounds right). My only real issue is that random wave sticking up out of the water... I'm not sure how you intend to incorporate it, but it seems so very strange just rising up out of the still sea... Otherwise it looks fab and I think the colouring is working quite well. It adds a bit of "old time fantsy art feeling".

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Jul 2014 20:29 #2594 by Digital Dave

kazky: A skin tutorial sounds like fun, I'll get started on it as soon as I'm finished with the painting.

I really look forward to seeing that. I think your way of doing skin looks great, and I've always struggled with it myself. I also see what they're saying about the ankles too. They do seem a little too thick, but more over, you don't see any structure. Maybe thinning them some more and showing the ankle bone structure would help. Being more Petite, like you have her wrist.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

13 Jul 2014 20:45 #2597 by Domtopia
The colour really bothers me. I think it is too magenta.

I did a couple of adjustment layers and suggest something a bit more like this in colour. Just a thought.
The adjustment is on the left...

Attachments:

13 Jul 2014 21:25 #2622 by kazky

her ankles still look a little clunky compared to the feet (not that I actually know what clunky means but kazky used it and it sounds right). .

its cankle. calf and ankle blend into one :) apparently Debbie Harry had cankles, she wasn't perfect, just almost :D
i also really like the colouring,