April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Should I get an iPad 2

10 Mar 2017 04:25 #15492 by Yian
Should I get an iPad 2 was created by Yian
I am a bit tired of using paper and pencil in the cafe... I want to sketch digitally but I hate carrying my laptop and my cintiq with me all the time.

Should I get an iPad 2? If it is only for sketching purpose... not for anything like a finalized inking, is it a good choice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2017 09:11 #15493 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Should I get an iPad 2
personally if you want it to sketch like on paper I think they only iPad that works properly is the iPad pro, I know I've tried on both my iPad 2 and iPad mini and none of these have palm rejection so you have to draw with your hand raised off the iPad.

That's completely unnatural to me as I always rest my hand on the surface of whatever I'm drawing on. And the cost of the ipad pro is huge. But looking at reviews its a definite contender to the new Wacom studio pro.

But if it's literally just for sketching I'd stick with your paper & pencil

10 Mar 2017 09:59 #15496 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Should I get an iPad 2
If you haven't, maybe try a painting/sketching app on a cellphone first and see if it feels at all natural? Maybe you actually prefer pen and paper in the end and then investing in a tablet might not be worth it.

That said, the sketching app I tried on my cell sucked. Or I sucked. Either way I never use it :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Mar 2017 12:41 #15498 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Should I get an iPad 2
The iPad2 is quite old isn't it? I'm no expert on Apple things but OS updates come thick and fast, and older machines without enough memory can struggle with newer apps.

On a more generic note I have a bog standard (and aging) Samsung tablet and I find that it's harder to actually start a picture from scratch. It much easier to work on a sketch that you've already drawn elsewhere, either imported from PC or photographed from pencil and paper.