April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Mechanical keyboards?

13 Jan 2017 15:39 #15104 by Joe
Mechanical keyboards? was created by Joe
Does anyone use a mechanical keyboard? I've been on the lookout for a backlit keyboard because of all the times when I've been working in the dark and can't be bothered to switch the light on. I've been meaning to try out a mechanical keyboard too just because of the great press they get.

I ordered one, with backlighting, only to find out that they were lying - it isn't backlit. Maybe I'll hang on to it because of the keys but who uses one and would you ever go back?

Can anyone recommend a good backlit keyboard?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jan 2017 19:03 #15105 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Mechanical keyboards?
*had to google mechanical keyboard*
uhm... I think I've never advanced from them in the first place? :P My new laptop has lit keys but since I use a separate keyboard and screen I haven't actually tested it much. (And I guess the new laptop would "not" have a mechanical keyboard but it doesn't seem too different to me. Just flatter buttons :P) Anyway, can't help you. Sorry :unsure:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Jan 2017 20:43 - 13 Jan 2017 20:46 #15106 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Mechanical keyboards?
I go through a keyboard about every two years roughly. Often a few of the keys end up sticking. The cheaper ones I've had develop annoying wobbles too and wireless ones have connection issues. Along with computer, monitor, Cintiq and pen, it's a big player in everything I do so I thought it was time to upgrade. Treat myself.

It arrived today and I've just had a little time to play with it. The keys definitely feel better but I'm not sure there's so much of a difference to a "shortcut user". The backlight issue has pissed me off though. The descriptions and comments on Amazon referred to a different version - the backlit version - which is what I thought I was buying. My fault because I'm a doofus.

Makes a nice clicky sound.

I think they were popular at one point - to writers. Most now use laptops I would have thought and it appears they are now popular with gamers - of which I am not.