April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

How often do you upgrade computer?

31 Mar 2015 11:26 - 31 Mar 2015 11:26 #9891 by Joe
My PC seems to be showing the odd sign that something may be wrong with the hard drive or operating system as well as wheezing a bit harder when using the more powerful programs that I have installed. I don't need much excuse to go out and buy newer equipment (if the money's there) but I was just wondering how often you guys find yourself upgrading your computers?

I reckon I do it every five years on average. I could investigate the problems I'm having and upgrade components etc. but I honestly can't be bothered with that much as I have so little free time.

It's probably going to set me back around £800 - £1000 for a new machine so that's about £200 per year. That's ok.

(Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud, trying to convince myself to click BUY NOW)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Mar 2015 13:34 #9892 by jessie
I have had the same machine for as long as I can remember. Probably 9 years? I've had to re-install the OS probably 3 times since then and the first reinstall was because it came with Vista. Blak.

It sounds to me you may have maleware running in the background. My advice before you invest in a new machine is to make sure you're running basic maintenance. Maleware & virus scanners, OS updates...etc. I've found maleware has become sneaky little burgers...so make sure you run a good scanner like Hitman Pro (which has a 30 day free trial).

I hope that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe

31 Mar 2015 15:13 #9895 by kazky
I used to upgrade around 3 years, but since I got my macs I don't, i've had my MBP around 6/7 years & my iMac just over 3 years.
Click buy now Joe :)

31 Mar 2015 15:18 #9896 by Valence
Between ten years and never.

Or more simply: when it breaks.
It's a bit like choosing a new pope. When the smoke that comes out of the back changes colour and goes that lovely smelly blue then the decision has been made.

31 Mar 2015 15:47 #9897 by Joe
Yeah I'm waiting on the smoke. How about the BlueScreenOfDeath every morning? I've been fighting with it for several months now and you know how it is when you lose confidence in something? You just want it to go away.

I will probably buy a new one (faster chip, better GPU, etc.). I especially want a solid state drive as the one on my Companion is really fast compared to my desktop. But the important thing is knowing you can rely on your equipment. I can't afford to have it blow up on me mid-job. *shivvers*

I like the feeling of booting up a new machine, it's like new car smell. My present PC smells like my car - a hundred stale Big Macs (kids, not me I hasten to add). I'll eventually back up all my stuff, reformat and give it to my daughter.

Bloody monitor's acting up too. It needs to be unplugged and then plugged in again every morning. If I was starting out I probably would go for a Mac Kaz but I'm too settled in me ways now.

31 Mar 2015 16:05 #9898 by Banj

I especially want a solid state drive as the one on my Companion is really fast compared to my desktop.

The drive that runs twice as fast, runs half as long (to mangle a film quote). SSD drives have a far shorter life span than a regular mechanical drive as far as I'm aware, so be prepared to by a new one every couple of years or so.

31 Mar 2015 16:36 #9899 by Joe
Yeah I heard that - but with different views on how long that would be. Some have said four to six years so if I'm upgrading every five then that's ok. In the meantime I'll just have to learn how to move the OS to a new SSD.

31 Mar 2015 17:19 #9900 by Banj
I use Easus Todo Backup (free version) for creating disc image backups of my system drive, it can also do migration from one disc to another: www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

31 Mar 2015 17:51 #9902 by Charlotte
Not sure what computer you have Joe but I have a desktop PC that started to give me the blue screen, or just blackout or occassionally not starting at all. I thought I had to reformat the thing (after which I discovered that my safety backup copying magicky didn't consider all my 3D files "documents" so they were all lost... but nevermind, I've grrrred about that before)

It turned out that it got overheated due to dust inside the... uhm... jar :P I got some sort of compressed air thingy, opened the computer up and blew out the dust. I think I dislodged something in the process because it now sounds like a freight train when starting up, but other than that it runs fine again.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe

31 Mar 2015 18:39 #9908 by Valence
Jar?! :woohoo:
Is your PC powered by a Leyden Jar or something? Sounds a bit steampunk to me :)
I can relate to the freight train noise though. But with my fan it's more of a Chinook.