April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Corel Painter 2022 - Released

22 Jun 2021 13:58 - 22 Jun 2021 15:12 #35448 by Banj
www.painterartist.com/en/product/painter/

New stuff: Stamp-type brush customization, new watercolour brushes and workflow, brush library refinements (bet it still isn't well organised though :shakefist: ), brush size selector, refined layer workflow etc. faster than a very fast thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jun 2021 20:10 #35453 by Valence
Oh, I see that they've decided to keep the wonderful "feature" of having incompatible layers and brushes, and have now highlighted this "feature" with an extra dialog box. :facepalm:

22 Jun 2021 20:59 - 22 Jun 2021 21:01 #35454 by Charlotte
How can layers and brushes be incompatible? In a painting program? :dumb:

(Edit: Oh look, Banj added loads of stuff to his post... :dumb: and I need more variety in the dumb emojis...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

22 Jun 2021 21:49 #35455 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Corel Painter 2022 - Released

Painter has a handful of special brush variants that use their own special layer types that you can't use other brushes types on. For example the real Ink brushes have a special ink layer. That has never bothered me much as I don't use those brush types very often. My own pet peeve with Painter is the way they organise brush variants*. For some reason they choose to group brushes from prior versions of Painter into their own separate categories instead of just grouping all brush variants of the same type into their respective categories and having some kind of indicator to distinguish which version they might have come from which would make life so much simpler and better organised.

*Actually another peeve would be the installers for their custom brush packs just dump files into my documents folder making a huge mess. :shakefist:

22 Jun 2021 21:51 #35456 by Valence

:dunno: :shrug:

You know how in ArtRage all the oil paint, watercolour, pastel, pencil etc. all mix and blend together? Well none of that happens in Painter.
Each of the different effect/mediums can only exist on their own layer. In the version I've got (2019, I think) whenever you switch to watercolour or real oils or Thick Paint it automatically creates a new layer without telling you and before you know it you've got 20+ layers when you thought you were working on one. I guess the new dialog box is to stop that from happening while also slowing down your workflow further. :dry:

22 Jun 2021 21:53 #35457 by Valence
Thought I'd done a double-post then, Banj. :dumb:
:lol:

22 Jun 2021 22:03 #35458 by Charlotte
:dry: I'm now glad I'm not also trying to learn Painter...

22 Jun 2021 23:03 #35459 by Banj
You can actually mix different brush types on one layer, I do it all the time. It's only certain brush types which work differently that don't mix.

24 Jun 2021 11:37 #35475 by Banj

My own pet peeve with Painter is the way they organise brush variants*. For some reason they choose to group brushes from prior versions of Painter into their own separate categories instead of just grouping all brush variants of the same type into their respective categories and having some kind of indicator to distinguish which version they might have come from which would make life so much simpler and better organised.

I guess I should have watched those videos when I posted them because it seems that the new brush library goes some way to dealing with my complaint about how they organised things. :whistle:

24 Jun 2021 12:54 #35477 by Charlotte
I'm not sure why you think it would ever be possible to make life simple and organised.... :dry: