March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Autodesk Sketchbook now free

02 May 2018 09:17 #21022 by Banj
Autodesk have announced that the full version of Sketchbook is now available for free. Details can be found here: sketchbook.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 May 2018 09:56 #21023 by Charlotte
Is it any good? Does it serve a purpose when you have other versions? It says that it's good for scribbling down ideas on the go and the photos look like a pad but the download says desktop version... *confused*

I hate getting old - or rather, I hate how I understand less and less of techie stuff :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 May 2018 10:07 #21024 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Autodesk Sketchbook now free
I've just downloaded it so I'll let you know when I get chance to take a look Charlotte. As compared to earlier versions though? Won't know as I've never used it before.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 May 2018 10:15 #21025 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Autodesk Sketchbook now free
There are versions for all platforms, though the mobile versions lack some of the features of the desktop version - as far as I am aware, I've only used the free mobile versions. I've used the desktop version of Sketchbook Pro for years, it's extremely good.

02 May 2018 10:29 #21026 by Charlotte
Is this the "Pro" version or is the Pro version the same as the enterprise version?

I already have the free program Krita that I can't quite get used to, and ArtRage so I'm not sure I need one more, but free is... tempting :P

As I've mentioned before ArtRage lacks when it comes to clipping masks and erasers...

02 May 2018 10:37 #21027 by Banj
As far as I know the "Enterprise" version is exactly the same, the only difference is in the licensing usage. Enterprise is for studios/organisations with multiple users running from the same license, everyone else (individuals) use the regular Sketchbook (which used to be called Sketchbook Pro before it went subscription only).

02 May 2018 10:53 #21028 by Charlotte
oh I see. I think. :unsure:

02 May 2018 11:06 #21029 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Autodesk Sketchbook now free
I'm playing around with it right now and liking what i see so far. The brushes - even the standard ones are far superior to anything I'm currently using. Still trying to figure out how or if I can open multiple windows for ref images though. Any way to do that Banj?

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 May 2018 11:14 - 02 May 2018 11:16 #21030 by Banj
As far as I know you would have to import your reference images as a layer. It only allows you to open a single document at a time. I open reference on a separate monitor so it's not a function I have ever missed.

Meanwhile if you want more brushes, then they have a load of free custom brushes here: www.sketchbook.com/blog/category/free-brush-sets/

EDIT - Charlotte, there's no clipping layers, but you can lock transparency for layers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

02 May 2018 11:58 #21031 by Valence
I've never been able to use the desktop version but the Android app is easily my favourite finger painting thing and I used this announcement as the opportunity to finally upgrade and the latest version is certainly worth it.

For adding overlaid references you could use a third-party tool like PureRef or Kuadro. (And for Android you can use the image viewer from the Floating Apps suite. That's what I do. :))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto