April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Charlotte Goes Live

02 Dec 2017 09:50 #19432 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Charlotte Goes Live
:p Thanks Val...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Dec 2017 15:28 #19478 by Charlotte
I have recently been to see a team of medical professionals about my headaches etc. and while this is partially what made me decide that now's the time to try a change, this will probably also cause a bit of a delay in that change.

I've been admitted into some therapy groups focussing on stress and pain, and ironically they take up a lot of time plus I have to travel to a neighbouring city which also takes up a lot of time. I'm not yet sure whether I can work part time and go to the therapy sessions in my free time (which will then be reduced to practically 0) or if I should wait until the therapy is over before I start working... well... "as little as I can" (I'm already working part time to a lesser extent).

This week, I've been travelling either after or before work, 4 days out of five (or I will have, after tomorrow). Next week I have at least three visits to make, possibly four again. But next year it should be max. 3 visits per week, and hopefully just two... at least after a while and if I can do some exercises here at home, instead.

Either way, the therapy lasts until march, assuming I can manage it and don't stress myself out over all the travelling or get increased headache issues. So my idea to start the new year "fresh", will be more like starting around april, maybe...

My dad always said you have to be in very good health to be ill, and he's right... It's exhausting :P

02 Feb 2018 11:10 #20121 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Charlotte Goes Live - or not
I wish I could help with that tax stuff - I'm self employed after all - but I know UK law but nothing else. It's pretty straight forward here and I fill in my own tax returns and prepare my wifes books - hers are much more complicated - for our accountants.
I've been thinking recently that I would like to earn some money from art but with all the printing process' involved I felt kinda overwhelmed with all the choices. However, yesterday I did see that Etsy have lots of artists who sell their work as digital downloads - literally as jpegs pngs etc - and their customers then print them out themselves.
I believe Etsy is free until you sell something though in the uk you do need a PayPal account.
The other avenue I've been looking at is something called Displate. If you spend any time on FB I'm sure you've seen their ads that pop up with monotonous regularity. This is a site that you upload artwork to, they print and ship it to customers and obviously take a commission. I have no idea how popular it is with art buyers - I'm always a little concerned about anything that appears so regularly on FaceBook - but the images I can see look a lot more like the kind of thing we produce on this site.
As a word of warning though I have no idea how safe (copyright wise) Displate is. There is an option to report copyright infringes but I cant imagine how you would even know if some one is stealing your work.
Anyway, good luck with it all Charlotte, keep us informed and I'll let you know if I have any success figuring out how to set up a decent Etsy shop.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 Feb 2018 11:32 #20123 by Charlotte
I've not noticed Displate at all, but I've been thinking about Etsy too. There are other places where the company prints your art on merchandise and take a cut, but I'm concerned they have lots of sellers and not very many buyers :P

Still focusing on some health related stuff though. My REAL life (as a cat-owning artist) will begin at the end of March or so :)

02 Feb 2018 21:59 #20137 by Valence

...lots of sellers and not very many buyers...

I think that's the big issue right there! :)

Never heard of Displate (not being a facebooker) but I think a lot of online moneymaking sites only work well when you have fans or followers. Over on Patreon, sakimichan can easily cash in with all those fans coughing up 50-60 thousand dollars a month but if you don't have that kind of fanbase I imagine it can be a pretty desolate place.
It'd be great if it was just about doing the paintings but it also requires marketing and promotion and ...erm... stuff. And I know as much about that as I do about tax. :lol:

03 Feb 2018 09:41 #20145 by Charlotte
yeah... I'm having a vague idea about having some stuff done for this year's winter market (physical stuff, maybe postcards or colouring books or something like christmas ornaments) but I don't really know yet, what I'll manage. And it'll require some investments that might cost more than I get back :p

11 Apr 2018 16:14 #20781 by Charlotte
Right. A bit of an update.
I can't (or didn't) even remember those things about documentation and stuff that I originally wrote about. It's april and the only thing so far, is that I now have a cat. Instead of sleeping next to me when I work it prefers plopping down on my tablet to lick his own butt, though. Or to snooze. Lots of snoozing.

I have received permission from my boss to work 50% until august (but I'm not sure yet if that's august 1st or 31st). Pain/stress therapy is over and I'm trying to keep doing the things we were told to do in therapy. Like go to the gym (ugh). I'm not sure the four or so months now left to work 50% will be enough to get much done, but I guess I'll try to focus on updating my website and finish some artwork. *

I had planned for an "easy start" making some money on aywas pets for what they call mayday. Last year I turned in one sketch and had it instantly approved (but asked for site currency). This year I submitted 6 sketches and none were approved... The team that approves sketches have changed but I can't help but wonder if their demands are higher for real money payouts. It was a bit of a disappointment but I guess I'll just keep trying (and they have other opportunities to ask for USD as well, just not as much at once...)

* so far I've just gotten back into playing guild wars and not been able to get out of napping almost every day. :dry: Guild wars is fun, but... I need to start painting too :p

12 Apr 2018 16:07 #20792 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Charlotte Goes Live - or not
It’s so hard to get back into Charlotte, i’m the same, I try to do something in Procreate and just end up messing about. I just don’t seem to like to draw anymore. At least you are still drawing and painting so i’m sure you’ll get moving with it. Hope the pain therapy has helped.

12 Apr 2018 16:49 #20794 by Charlotte
well the main idea of the therapy is basically to accept that you might never get much better :P And then to give you ways to cope anyway. I think it was very helpful, but I do need to go through everything we talked about, again, and work on "internalising" it...

26 Apr 2018 16:42 #20935 by Thomgirl
Hey Charlotte, I have an art friend who has started selling her work on Society6. She's been really happy with it and I believe has even made the move to go full time. I'm not sure about the ins and outs of it, but she's just been doing little graphic doodles, she even just calls them 'doodles' because they kinda just look like the stuff you doodle on notebook margins. May be worth looking into when you're ready. I think people are more likely to buy art stuff when it's printed on useful things they can use everyday. Like a throw pillow, a bag/purse, t-shirt, leggings, that sort of thing. She also just does some plain prints too, but limited runs.

Anyways, I'm sorry you're going through a tough time by the sounds of it. The battles within ourselves are never easy and you never really do 'cure' it. You just get better at coping, hopefully. Do you take walks? My mom battles with anxiety and depression, but she got into walking (she hates the gym, running is too hard on her) and at first she did it just to help be in better shape, but she found making it a consistent thing she did at the same time every day really helped her mental stuff too. She found it much easier to actually practice her 'coping' stuff when she had had a walk for the day (And we're talking like a mile here, nothing wild and crazy). Just a thought unless I'm way off base about something (which happens a lot and I will not be bothered by you saying so!). I know what seems like a helpful thing in one case doesn't always apply to another. You just seemed pretty yuck about a gym option.