March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Books you'd recommend?

10 Mar 2017 09:54 #15494 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Books you'd recommend?
I had to look up who the heck that Philip K Dick was but it seems I ought to have known :P Mad or not he seems to have been quite influencial on the collective pop culture hive mind or something...

I put down Gemmel on my list of to try authors, though :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2017 21:47 #15501 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Books you'd recommend?

I had to look up who the heck that Philip K Dick was

What?!? Shame on you! :ohmy: Total Recall? - We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, Bladerunner? - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and The Man in The High Castle - OK the less said about the recent screen adaption the better! All that Matrix stuff? Sorry Mr Wachowski & Mr Wachowski but Phillip was there 30 years or so before you.

I hope you enjoy Gemmel, he was an author my father turned me on to. Personally I love his work but some of that may be because of that association

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

29 Aug 2017 07:37 #17847 by Charlotte
Haven't ordered any books yet, but I "accidentally" bought a pair in the grocery store the other day. "Buy two for pretty much the ordinary price"...

I read the first one, The Darkest Secret by Alex Marwood. According to the jacket, a child disappears one weekend and then on another weekend the mystery is solved. Which isn't quite right. The child disappears one weekend alright. Then 12 years later her father dies and everyone who was there when the kid disappeared meets up again. But it's really only the reader who finds out what happened, through the chapters (every other) that describes what happened 12 years earlier. I wasn't crazy about the language but that might be because it was translated to Swedish and the tone just didn't work... But above all I felt the ending was incomplete, it didn't really bring "closure". I guess it wasn't really meant to, but I find it as important to me as a reader as it is to the people involved in the story...

Oh well, hopefully I won't lay awake another evening wondering why the police did such a shoddy job of figuring out what happened to the little girl... :blink:

29 Aug 2017 16:39 #17856 by Mr. Sabrosito
you may judge me as mainstream and all that but i really did enjoyed Stephen king´s Joyland. It has a really mellow, introspective and melancholic atmosphere, likeable characters and a plausible mystery; also it presents several interesting themes from which you can identify and relate on your transition form teenage to adult such as depression , heartbreak, loneliness and so on.

i have read and listened to tons of his books , but in setting i can say that this is my favorite.

here´s a little synopsis by goodreads:
College student Devin Jones took the summer job at Joyland hoping to forget the girl who broke his heart. But he wound up facing something far more terrible: the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and dark truths about life—and what comes after—that would change his world forever

29 Aug 2017 17:03 #17859 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Books you'd recommend?
Yeah I enjoyed joyland too, can’t remember it that well though :D

29 Aug 2017 22:28 #17861 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Books you'd recommend?
The other day I picked up a book from the library that sounded really good. Then when I opened it up I discovered that it's the second part of a trilogy! So I checked back with the library and they don't have the first part!

Don't you hate it when that happens?
It's even worse than when you pick up what looks like a novel and then later find out that it's a collection of short stories! :)

And now I'm wondering whether to just read it anyway out of spite. :lol:

30 Aug 2017 07:28 #17865 by Charlotte
A while back now, I got a book where I checked carefully for signs that it was part of a trilogy (or any number of books since I wanted something stand alone). I looked at the front and back covers, the spine, the first few pages and probably the last few as well. Nothing. Great, bought the book. But it didn't end like a self conotained story and right on the last page of the story itself it mentioned being the first of a trilogy :angry:

It wasn't even a good story. And it was written in first person, which I usually don't like at all. That last book I mentioned above was partially written in first person too, but it worked better.