April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

02 May 2023 11:39 #45434 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I took the dangerous Chain Lightning staff away from my new mod follower chap and tried again to walk to Morthal without any more friendly fire. He now seems to rely on the bow quite a bit. At one point he got into a hand-to-hand dagger fight with a frost troll but then ran away and hid behind a rock so that he could shoot from a safe distance while I stayed there and swung the axe. :shrug:
I don't really like his voice though. The default MaleDarkElf doesn't really suit his appearance or personality.
So I started googling about voices.
I found one mod called Lazy Tools that allows you to fiddle with this kind of stuff but it's only available for the Special Edition. I tried to look at the mod in the Creation Kit but I can't load in other plugins without messing with .ini file again.
So after a bit more research I downloaded TESEdit and this let me have a look at all the mod files and options. And I have now successfully altered his voice to something more appropriate. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 May 2023 11:48 #45435 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
There are a few voices (or maybe more than a few) in Skyrim that are too recognisable as it feels like the same person talking every time, even when they have different faces...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 May 2023 14:36 #45438 by Valence
Oblivion is much worse for that.
Anyway after learning quite a bit from fiddling with that mod I'm now a bit tempted (only a bit) to try and create my own and I've been reading through some  tutorials.  
​​​​​​It sounds surprisingly simple but I suspect it really won't be. :paranoid:
And I'm a bit scared of breaking my savegame. :S

*reads a bit more*

02 May 2023 22:35 #45450 by Valence
I have arrived at Mama's Lab and, in the words of Sam...

Warning: Spoiler!

And it's taking me a while to understand Zip Lines.
I thought they were gonna work "forwards" like bridges but it seems they build "backwards" like roads. :dumb:
That ignorance on my part has messed up this mission a bit so I think I'd better quit here before it autosaves my error. :lol:

Back to Mama's Lab then :)

03 May 2023 11:57 #45453 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming

And it's taking me a while to understand Zip Lines.
I thought they were gonna work "forwards" like bridges but it seems they build "backwards" like roads. :dumb:

They build vertically like shelters and chargers 

03 May 2023 14:22 #45454 by Valence
I may have misunderstood the instructions.
Or not. :dunno:

I was trying to build one that stretched across the front of that big waterfall but as I was trying to place the first anchor point it was giving me warnings saying that it couldn't connect back to the one at Mama's Lab. I assumed it must be like the roads that connect back to the previous paver.
At this point I got a bit confused and even Sam himself got a little frustrated and kept telling me to get on with it! :dry:

03 May 2023 14:30 - 03 May 2023 14:33 #45455 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
I think it's just a matter of distance to any nearby zip line towers. The distance is based on the level of the tower. When you actually use them you sit there and rotate the tower to connect to whatever tower you can see nearby and zip to that. You can build them on their own without any other towers around, it obviously just wont do anything though until there's another tower in range. I've only actually built two, the first I built without knowing how they worked and then immediately dismantled it when I realised I couldn't use it like I wanted, the other was near a distribution base and had another tower in range. I never bothered trying them out when I went to mama's place (because I had more important things to do at the time  ) so maybe it's more important to connect to her tower when you do it then 

EDIT - Oh and it's really annoying when you use a tower to save time and zip to another tower, but it decides to zip you to a different tower in the other direction further from your destination, but the tower you end up at is lower level and can't zip you back 

03 May 2023 20:52 - 03 May 2023 21:38 #45460 by Valence

You can build them on their own without any other towers around place

That's the thing that was confusing me. I was expecting the "destination" point to be shown too and instead it was telling me about the one behind.
Also my patience was being tested by some increasing drifty-stick from my controller that almost walked Sam straight off a ledge. :eyeroll:
So this evening I have completely taken it apart and sprayed the potentiometers "clean" and put it back together.
I then took it apart again to see why the right bumper would no longer move. :oops:
Then I put it back together and wondered why it moved but wouldn't click.
Then I unscrewed it again put everything back in the right place and now...
Now I'm hoping that the left bumper is clicking in the correct way. :S

EDIT: Takes it apart again to fix the left bumper. :rage:

It now works again and the drift is still there but not as bad... for the moment.

03 May 2023 22:43 - 03 May 2023 22:43 #45461 by Valence
And now I understand. :cheer:

I could have built one from the opposite shore line at the bottom but I didn't realise that until later. I crossed the river thanks to a boat that someone had left there. And when I say boat I obviously mean truck but anything can be a boat if it gets you across the water. :dry:
I then climbed up the rocks on that side and built two structures on either side of the waterfall at the top and then this connected back to Mama's lines which allowed me a quick return.
Sadly it wasn't a complete return all of the way because some nugget had built a Timefall Shelter that blocked the path and made it unusable! :shakefist:
I dismantled it! :stare:

...and then went back to building roads up from the south. There's now just two middle sections left until I have the full road back to Lake Knot City. That should make the Pizza delivery easier. :)
Attachments:

04 May 2023 06:00 #45462 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
What if someone had left the truck there to use it later? Won't they be angry to find it on the wrong side of the river?

:dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.