April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

11 Jul 2017 22:11 #16964 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I'm an obsessively habitual person.
If something isn't a habit then it never gets done. Ever. :P

And seeing as I've steered this thread a bit off-topic I'll try to swerve it back by saying that I dusted off an old X-Box the other day (or 'eggs-box' as Banj sometimes calls it) and I've been re-enjoying "Knights Of The Old Republic II".

Still retro but not *as* retro. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jul 2017 09:57 #16966 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming

(or 'eggs-box' as Banj sometimes calls it)

I sometimes call it "easy mode" as well :pinch:

12 Jul 2017 11:54 - 12 Jul 2017 11:57 #16967 by Valence
"Easy Mode" is what I now have to select from the options menu. Sad, I know, but it has to be done. My Ninja Gaiden disc remains forever in its case.

I think the hardest games though were those very old ones that weren't supposed to be hard but were just badly designed. I remember an old Amiga game (EDIT: just googled and it was actually an even older Spectrum game!) called Army Moves where the second screen was virtually impossible (you had to bounce your jeep over a collapsed bridge whilst simultaneously shooting a plane.) I got past it once by accident and the subsequent levels weren't nearly so bad.
Also the third screen of Another World was very tough as you had to avoid some equally spaced poisonous worms, but having played that again on a SNES emulator recently the difficulty was down to the Amiga's measly one button joystick.

12 Jul 2017 12:04 #16968 by Banj

Also the third screen of Another World was very tough as you had to avoid some equally spaced poisonous worms

From what I remember you just kick them to death. Don't think I ever played the whole game though, but I did play Flashback a lot.

12 Jul 2017 20:13 - 13 Jul 2017 15:17 #16970 by Valence
Yep, that's right, it was the only moment in the whole game when you had to kick anything and it was a whole lot easier when you had the extra button for kicking instead of having to contrive that diagonal combo which never worked for me and seemed frustratingly cruel so early in the game.

They were both interesting games though with terrific rotoscoped animation. Flashback did seem to have a very obvious rigid format to the level design, you could clearly spot the platform "grid" whereas Another World was much more dynamic in its layout. Those 2d vector graphics looked absolutely horrible in screenshots but when it was animated it looked like nothing else I'd ever seen.

13 Jul 2017 10:53 #16971 by Banj
I believe I only had the demo version of Another World which was just the first level up until you lose the big thingy that chases you I think. I mostly just kept watching the opening cinematic which I still think is pretty cool.

Flashback was probably one of the games I played most on the Amiga, after Formula One Grand Prix and Knights of the Sky (take that Red Baron mwahahahaha). And then there as Doom... :woohoo:

13 Jul 2017 13:24 #16975 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Gaming
I loved Another World. Those human beasty things used to talk but it sounded like 'motzaruba' or 'mytowbar'

For years we said 'motzaruba' or 'mytowbar'' for pretty much everything.

we're weird like that.

13 Jul 2017 13:24 #16976 by Mr. Sabrosito
Replied by Mr. Sabrosito on topic Gaming

"Easy Mode" is what I now have to select from the options menu. Sad, I know, but it has to be done. My Ninja Gaiden disc remains forever in its case.

I think the hardest games though were those very old ones that weren't supposed to be hard but were just badly designed. I remember an old Amiga game (EDIT: just googled and it was actually an even older Spectrum game!) called Army Moves where the second screen was virtually impossible (you had to bounce your jeep over a collapsed bridge whilst simultaneously shooting a plane.) I got past it once by accident and the subsequent levels weren't nearly so bad.
Also the third screen of Another World was very tough as you had to avoid some equally spaced poisonous worms, but having played that again on a SNES emulator recently the difficulty was down to the Amiga's measly one button joystick.

ninja gaiden black on the original xbox was pretty hardcore for a modern game, but the ones on nes where a nightmare , and you are right, i think those games weren't meant to be like that it was just lack of testing and rudimentary game design, one good example of that is DR. jeckyl and Mr Hide; which i think is the hardest nes game

13 Jul 2017 13:53 #16978 by Valence

For years we said 'motzaruba' or 'mytowbar'' for pretty much everything.

we're weird like that.

The only weird thing about that is that I used to do exactly the same thing! But I always heard that second one as "Mine-Foobar."
And when I was typing that message the other day I couldn't get to the end of it without repeating, in a strange voice, "Mine-Foobar, Mine-Foobar!"
Thankfully there was no-one around to hear me or I may have been arrested and sectioned. :lol:

13 Jul 2017 14:31 #16980 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Gaming
i've literally been doing that voice too Val :D