April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

29 Sep 2020 18:34 #31262 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
:stare:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Sep 2020 22:33 #31273 by Charlotte
pfft I was "only" going to do a simple planetary survey mission.... Find 9 minerals (i.e. rocks, but whatever). Check. Find 6 animals. Uhm. Where? No signs.... Finally found 2. No more signs. Frequent storms that last quite a while with nothing to do but wait.... *sigh* Eventually I gave up, saved and closed. Night night... :zzz:

01 Oct 2020 01:59 - 01 Oct 2020 02:04 #31274 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I hope they're not dangerous animals that you have to find. :dry:

My new Dodo is now grown up and I didn't need to do anything else to it. I'd obviously given it enough care and fed it sufficiently with berries beforehand. So I chucked it in the pen with the others. And there was another egg!
I switched off mating after that discovery. They've been having too much fun in that little nest. Time to calm down. :stare:
It was too cold to start incubating the new one so I put it in the bin. The preserving bin!

Anyway I had another self-appointed task to complete...

I've tamed a Diplodocus! :woohoo:

A purple supply drop on my island gave me a saddle and I remembered seeing one of those big beasties over the water while getting repeatedly killed by that Alpha Raptor. So I flew over with a supply of mejoberries and proceeded to take part in the long and (being this close to deep water) slightly dangerous dino-play taming. You know the kind. Give berry, then manically run around so that the "nuzzling" Diplo doesn't launch you into the deep waters. There's an annoyingly long time between some of the feeds as you wait for them to become hungry again and all the while you have to run around between its legs and underneath its body so that it can't launch you. It's all quite tiring but it paid off in the end. :)

I don't quite know what to do with it now cos I don't really want to swim it to the island and on the mainland to the west there's a big Spinosaur and to the east there are two of those territorial Therizinosaurs and I'm not quite sure how good the Diplo is in a fight. Also I doubt that it'd fit on my raft. :dry:
Attachments:

01 Oct 2020 09:29 #31275 by Charlotte
You'll just have to build a big ship, now. :)

01 Oct 2020 11:56 - 01 Oct 2020 14:08 #31286 by Valence
Research suggests that the Diplo can't go on ANY raft no matter how big you make it. :(
And their attack damage is.... Zero. :blink:

But they're surprisingly quick for a big thing and will destroy any and all trees that are in the way.
I did read one post where someone said that you can transport it to Herbivore Island via that upload thing that I don't understand. Apparently if you take your dinos to an Obelisk and "upload" them you can then "download" them at a supply drop.
I did not know that. :dumb:
I could use that to transport my Parasaurs. :hmm:

But I think I'll just keep it at the south beach for now. :)

Edit: It seems the supply drop transfer doesn't work for offline single player. :eyeroll:

02 Oct 2020 20:13 #31321 by Valence
Couldn't play Ark last night cos it needed an update and GFN kept glitching out when it got to 9-10%. :eyeroll:
I wanted to experiment with my Diplo riding to see if you could shoot from the saddle. It's a bit different to other tamed rides cos when you press E to stop riding, the character doesn't jump off and instead you can run around on top of the big dino. That might also be good for shooting from a safe distance. :hmm:
There seem to be lots of other seats on the saddle too so I guess the Diplo is supposed to be used as a multiplayer bus. :P

Anyway I COULDN'T do any of that so I ended up in Sleeping Dogs doing kung-fu like an old Jackie Chan. :lol:

03 Oct 2020 14:36 - 03 Oct 2020 18:33 #31324 by Valence
Hmm, you definitely can't shoot while "driving" the Diplodocus but it is fun to walk up the neck and take aim while standing on its head. :lol:
You're pretty high up too so I guess you'll just have to kill the baddies from there before they kill your ride. That's why I've been spamming its health during level up, it's now over 2000 but I'd like it to be higher before taking it into a fight.

Did a bit of building too. I put a roof on my house after a big Brontosaurus foot appeared while hatching another Dodo (five now in the pen). Don't stand in my house! :stare:
Then I built a little watchtower on the mainland so my Pteranodon has a safe high spot. I previously liked landing on that big rock but I couldn't leave him up there because (unlike that Raptor) I can't climb back up. So now I have a 3-wall-high tower for him to sit on with a wooden ladder for me to climb up. Hopefully that will keep him out of harms way when I'm exploring on my Diplo. :)

03 Oct 2020 15:19 #31327 by Charlotte
I've worked a bit on my "freighter base" today. The game doesn't quite recognise it as a base which is annoying, because you get quests like "build this thing in your base" and you build it on the freighter and the game keeps nagging you to build it. But anyway, I have been annoyed with the initial layout and how to build something I like with that as a base and today (*clink*) I finally realised that I can UNDO the initial base. Which also gives me a bit more resources for the remodelling.

Still looking for a NICE habitable planet, though. But I like having my employees on the freighter rather than "in my home", as I'm not sure I really trust them. The farmer seems nice, but the overseer... :paranoid: And the weapons expert might be ill.... or just old... But he's awfully blood thirsty.

03 Oct 2020 18:30 #31328 by Valence
Never trust an overseer. :nope:

03 Oct 2020 21:53 #31329 by Charlotte
I've lost track of how many days - not to mention hours per day - I've spent looking for a nice planet.... I found one called bountiful with some cool plants on it, but I could only find small islands in a huge ocean and I want a bit more firm ground.... :dry: and earlier I found one that could have been nice except it had red water and a sort of red mist obscuring everything in the distance. And a cool one that had something looking like a mix of apple cores and molten lead, some of which had green beams into the sky. Very alien. But, also rather boring.... (When EVERYTHING looks like that). I started thinking about bed 3 hours ago, yet I'm still jumping from one star to the next for those stoopid stoopid planets.