April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

25 Sep 2020 19:39 #31189 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Dodo pen. :stare:

I really wanted it on the other side but there's a slight slope there and the railings didn't line up properly. :pout:
You could put them down but they looked ugly. Even uglier than a roofless thatch hut. :lol:

So after much demolishing it reappeared on this side and I thought I'd set the feeder into the fence so that ALL my dinos can reach it. :)
Hopefully that works in the game. If anyone starves to death then more demolishing will happen and that will reappear somewhere else too.

I also started sailing around the east coast after a tricky manoeuvre turning the raft around. Given the wide turning circle it always feels a little dangerous near deep waters. Wish it just had a reverse gear. :P
I did see more dodos there but they were all of the Party kind and I don't like them. :nope:
I will only be kidnapping Dodos without hats.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Sep 2020 19:57 #31191 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
I don't think you can knock the party dodos out. They just die. That thing with the trough is clever! My non penned animals think they have access to the trough even though I have mine within thatch walls. Let me know if that works, and the railing. It doesn't seem enough to keep fairly small stupid birds in.... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

25 Sep 2020 20:22 #31193 by Valence
She hasn't escaped yet. :)
I've enabled wandering in the behaviour and she's had a good trot around in there and every time she got to the fence she turned back.
Then again I thought that raptor couldn't climb the big rock. :dry:

Other big dinos can just step over the fence. Just before this screenie I had to wait for a Trike to get out of the way. But if it does end up being too small you can put another layer of railings on top.

I also enabled wandering for my other tames now and that was slightly less successful. I think they can get to the feeder OK cos some of the meat seemed to disappear without going off, but I don't like having to chase them down when I want to jump on the saddle and my whistling skills are pretty poor. :whistle:

25 Sep 2020 20:55 #31195 by Charlotte
Its kind of annoying that if you let them wander they can walk off really far away... But having them stand stock still all the time isn't nice, is it? They must be able to behave naturally, I believe that's the law! :P

and regarding the fence, I'm not sure why they can't just escape UNDER the railing.... :dry:

25 Sep 2020 22:08 #31196 by Valence
Yes, behave naturally... but come here when I whistle! :stare:

My bit of sailing came after all of that building/feeding and I flew across the water and nailed the landing on the raft. I dismounted and walked back to the rudder, I turned round to see where I was going and... the Pteranodon had gone wandering off!
He was halfway down the beach! Don't know if he'd seen a female or something. :dry:
Come back to the raft will you! *whistle* *whistle* *whistle*

And you can't change the behaviour until you're close enough to hold down E, so it had to be a sprint after him. I ended up wishing for the "unrealistic" whistling of Skyrim/Witcher where you whistle/call and no matter where the horse was before it just magically appears nearby. :lol:

26 Sep 2020 14:41 - 26 Sep 2020 14:42 #31199 by Valence
I've been scouting out that south eastern coast trying to spy that crystal with no luck so far. There is a cave round there that will no doubt have lots inside but the map says there is one bit above ground but locating it is tricky. I even have one of those GPS radios now from a recent drop, if only I could stop getting confused between latitude and longitude. :lol:
It'd be nice if there was a height co-ordinate too as I can't yet work out if the crystal is low on the beach or on top of the cliff higher up.
Higher up would be more dangerous. While flying around up there I saw some ruins in the trees but there were also two big predators. Don't think they were Carnos, I'm guessing that the pale one may have been an Allosaur and the other one was greyish with a red spine. Looking through the wiki notes, the only thing I can find with that particular colouring is a region 1 T-Rex. :eek:
Didn't really get a good look and I'm not sure its head was big enough for that. And surely it would attack the other thing if it was a T-Rex. I think a pair of Allosaurs would be more likely.
Either way it seems a big risk for a bit of crystal. That hasn't stopped me trying to think of a plan though. :P
My best idea was to dump all my stuff in the raft and walk up there almost naked with just a pick, then sneak around (maybe even find the crystal) and then if the baddies come I could just run and leap off the cliff and then my dead body and loot would be down on the safer beach. Then I had a brainwave about using a parachute! :hmm:

But I'm getting ahead of myself again. I should just explore the beach first. Maybe the cave would be an easier option after all.

26 Sep 2020 15:38 #31201 by Charlotte
The southern cave is in a ravine between two rock walls. When I went, there was a stego and a Pachy. As I mentioned I didn't dare venture too deep, but you can find a good amount of crystal without encountering any dangers, or so it seemed to me.

26 Sep 2020 23:00 - 26 Sep 2020 23:37 #31203 by Charlotte
I've been playing No Man's Sky again today. Guess it's finally been long enough to be fun to start over. (I haven't deleted my old game, but I never quite enjoy picking things up where I forgot them... :dry:)

Anyway, I found this planet with colourful mushroom-type flora and blue water (kind of oddly blue since the sky seems to be a pale purple, but still - it's better than orange water!). Sadly the atmosphere is toxic and it's only the second star system I'm visiting so I'm unlikely to ever return. So I took a bunch of screenies to remember it by :P

Now to find where they were saved.... :S

EDIT: And just because I thought I'd never go back to that star system, the next planet I visit is a "Paradise planet" (meaning no firestorms, acid rains, toxic fumes or extreme colds etc.). It's a little boring that all paradise planets have the same resources, but it IS nice to not have to recharge ones various shields and life support all the time. And there's green grass and a nice blue lake... Might be a nice spot for a base after all....

Attachments:

27 Sep 2020 02:24 - 27 Sep 2020 02:26 #31204 by Valence
That looks cool, especially that big flower thing spitting out the fiery trails. :woohoo:

I entered into a cave today. :ohmy:
And saw some crystal right inside the entrance so I didn't go any deeper. :)
It was all on the ceiling though which made it a bit tricky to harvest. I had to jump up and pick at it while in the air. Got over 40 which is enough for what I wanted. For now.
I then flew back and made a scope...

Still don't know how the raptor climbed that rock but now I can study it from the safety of my safely, safe island.
But never mind safety. :pirate: I flew back across with my scope in hand to try and work out, from a magnified distance, if that really was a T-Rex up on the cliff. And as I tried to find the right vantage point.... Ants. :eyeroll:
I wasn't really in a good place to fight them so I just flapped away like a coward. I hope they don't follow me home like they did at my previous base. But they're not that difficult to kill when you're in the right spot.

Dodo update. I have another one now. Another female but that didn't stop the first one dropping an egg. :dry:
Everyone's feeding just fine and no-one is escaping. :thumbup:
Attachments:

27 Sep 2020 09:42 #31205 by Charlotte
I too only have females this time around and they lay eggs too. Though somehow I think they only started after I set them to not allow mating? Or was it the other way around...? Previously I had a male too, and they all walked around with those little pink hearts above their heads. But then I got fertilised eggs and you know how it went with my attempts to hatch them. So I think I prefer having unfertilised eggs and being able to make omelettes without feeling guilty about baby dodos.