April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

11 Sep 2020 12:22 #31027 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
A graveyard isn't a graveyard without at least one dead guy :confident:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Sep 2020 12:25 #31028 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
:dry:
true... I guess... :S

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

12 Sep 2020 01:52 - 12 Sep 2020 01:55 #31036 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Cleared out some trees and laid out some thatch floor....

I thought I'd start with thatch then I'm not wasting too many resources if I go wrong, I can always replace with wooden ones later but even so, there's no real worry with no predators to attack it. :)
The one downside of thatch is that you (and dinos) can "fall through" the bits where thatch floors meet. And sure enough after trailing up the hill and right around the other side of the island to get another 100 metal I slooooowly walked back and found one of those piggy creatures stuck in the floor next to my bed. And not only that, a triceratops had walked over the top and pooed on it. :lol:
Better add some walls too.
Killed the stuck piggy with a couple of bolts.. (Sorry, but it's your own fault for getting stuck!) ...and got another hefty handful of hide.

So I now have a 5x3 thatch thing, now with walls but no roof and it contains another forge, a smithy, a bed and a big storage box. Let's get ingotting! :pirate:

Oh, and I saw a supply drop on the back of the island too! I was too over-encumbered with metal to get to it on time but I'll try and keep an eye out for it later.

PS. Didn't see the Moby DIck thing today. :paranoid:
Attachments:

14 Sep 2020 01:25 #31044 by Valence
Woohoo! I sailed back safely to the mainland with no Moby Dick encounters. :cheer:
Then I did a bed-based fast travel back to the island where I left my Pteranodon so now I can fly just as safely to and from my raft like I wanted to in the first place. And I didn't see any raptors there either. *phew*

Meanwhile my forge is cooking the ingots from my 400ish metal and the island's supply of thatch is diminishing at a similar rate. Can't wait to make a proper sword! :pirate:

14 Sep 2020 09:04 - 14 Sep 2020 09:27 #31045 by Charlotte
:dry: sword? Shouldn't you be able to make rifles and bullets by now? :P

EDIT: I have been feeling a rather extreme need for escapism lately, so I've tried a whole bunch of new games (mostly mobile games on Bluestacks). I've tried Star Trek Online, which has quite a fun character creation bit, but I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to wobble around in space from here on (if so, what was the point of character creation in the first place?). Not really sure about that game yet, I only played the one "session" the day before last. I'm not even sure I'm through the tutorial yet...

Yesterday I started playing a couple of mobile games instead. First I tried a hidden object detective game. But after being told to pick up the obvious bloody saw from a crime scene where someone had been dismembered and the colleagues happily exclaiming that we'd found the murder weapon, I decided it was too stupid. After all, it's MUCH more likely that the saw was merely used for the dismemberment AFTER the actual murder. Oh and in the first case, there was a torn up T-shirt left at the murder scene, with the number 9 on it. So obviously the murderer always wore T-shirts with the number 9 on them. :eyeroll:

After deleting that I tried a more cutesy match 3 murder mystery game. It's somewhat more logical and enjoyable. After that, I was looking at artwork from Ravenhill and Seekers Notes, both Mytona games, and noticed that "Cooking Diary" which is a constant commercial in the other games I'm playing, was also made by them. So I downloaded that and played for a bit. It's just cooking time management, so basically some brain dead time killing stuff. But, yeah... that's what I've been doing.

I wanted to DRAW something but I can't settle on what or what style or ANYTHING :(
And I really need to go shopping for new kitty litter.... :dry:
*wants more escapism*

EDIT2: Oh right - I tried "Mergical" as well. When I found "my" first merge 3 game (with dragons) I looked for others and they could barely be found. Now they are everywhere. This has little dolls that merge into florists and gardeners and stuff. Cute little characters instead of dragons but otherwise it's all the same as usual. The ad shows indoor settings as well, implying you can get a house, but I've seen no sign of that in the actual game. Yet.

14 Sep 2020 11:24 #31046 by Valence
I have the engrams for all the guns (although I did only realise that last week. :oops:) but I haven't been grinding the resources for all that stuff. I've never made gunpowder, or sparkpowder and I don't even have a mortar and pestle thing. I seem to spend more time just exploring and watching dinos than planning and collecting the things I need.
This is the first time I've had enough metal for a sword and I do like the idea of strutting around with a shield and sword like I do in other games. :lol:
However I have just noticed that my crossbow is close to breaking so I may start looking into guns too. :)

I haven't played much Star Trek Online since that time I installed it properly and realised my own PC couldn't run it very well. I prefer to use my limited GFN time on other games so that one got pushed back a bit. From the missions I played it seemed evenly split between ship battles and shooty sequences down on the planet. Perhaps it varies depending on which era you choose in the character creation, I was getting a lot of Borg encounters.
I would like to get back to it but Ark, Witcher 3, Sleeping Dogs, etc are all getting in the way. :)

14 Sep 2020 11:46 #31048 by Charlotte
I chose the latest era... 2400? And I have encountered the Borg too. They seemed easier to defeat than I expected, but then again the game would be rather short if I got killed/assimilated on my first mission... :dry:

15 Sep 2020 01:54 - 15 Sep 2020 01:55 #31049 by Valence
I was gonna spend some time crafting guns and bullets in Ark tonight but, after reading up on them, people seem to think that the first guns are not as good as the crossbow and are a bit of a waste of resources. :hmm:
Did you ever get to doing some shooting before restarting?

Anyway, with that uncertainty bugging me I instead spent some time messing around with that Ansel photo mode. Sadly for me it doesn't work with Ark even though it's supposed to be supported :pout: so I went to Witcher instead and reloaded the Griffon fight from earlier in the game. That's probably the most spectacular thing I've seen in the game so far and guess what happened while I tried to fight it again... Yep, Geralt put his sword away. :eyeroll:
So if there's one "photo" that sums up my efforts in the game it's probably this one. :lol:

But it is nice to be able to move the camera around now in that Skyrim-esque way to capture landscape shots that aren't ruined by Geralt ALWAYS being in the centre forground, so I'm hoping I can now grab some screenshots that I might even try to paint sometime. But not this one. :)
Attachments:

15 Sep 2020 10:11 #31050 by Charlotte
No, I never did get me a gun. I am high enough level in my latest attempt, too, but I don't have the resources, so learning the engrams at this point is kind of useless.

And in my never ending quest of finding games I truly enjoy, I clicked an ad on Facebook. The ad showed a person almost drowning with a shark closing in - she killed the shark and managed to haul it up on an island. Then she proceeded to eat it and chop down all trees. Looked sort of promising. The game itself though, is not a survival game with resource gathering and crafting... It's one of those millions of "build a city exactly like we've already laid it out for you and do exactly what we say and fight other villages on the map". I guess I should have known when the ad didn't even show the game's name. I'm so tired of those games. Even the "official GoT" game is one of those and I cannot understand how THAT can be "official"!

15 Sep 2020 11:56 #31052 by Valence

I clicked an ad on Facebook.

:ohmy: :argh: :eek:
Be careful where you click. :confident:

And it does surprise me that there's never been a bigger GoT game. Seems like a missed opportunity although I suppose it's a hard subject to fit into the usual game formats.

I couldn't resist a short run around in Ark before bed and I did indeed unlock the engrams for simple guns, bullets gunpowder etc. I have about 500 unused engram points so I'm not losing anything there. :P
But then I looked into the resources and it's one ingot per simple bullet! I thought the simple bullets would just be stone or at the very least several bullets per ingot.
That's way too much, if correct.

So I repaired my crossbow. :lol: