April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

09 Sep 2020 15:09 #30985 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
I tried to load another map but it just seemed to freeze... Didn't I try before? And realised they each had to be installed separately or something such annoying? I don't remember. Anyway I made a copy of my entire Saved folder (because I didn't know which bits would apply) and then started over. So I should still have the old game if I wish to go back. So far, not. I think I just wanna stay safe and build a house :P

I am, however, having some difficulty in deciding where. It's too boring to build in the exact same spot as before... (And no matter how I plan, my houses end up huge, too - this time mainly because I don't want a flat roof... but I might still only make it one floor...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Sep 2020 21:49 #30996 by Charlotte
I ended up building near the old place, same safe peninsula. And as usual, there's always something that messes up the building plans. I wish one would get ALL resources back, not less than half, so it wouldn't matter if one made mistakes and needed to move the whole dang thing.

I ended up building where there was a bit of a dip in the ground. So I couldn't place a foundation in the last corner. The last! :stare: I tried using a pillar for support but no. I could place a ceiling but since the ceiling "floor" doesn't align with the foundation floor, that didn't look very nice, even from the inside. So I ended up deleting the test pillar and all foundations in that row, making the house 3 foundations smaller than planned. I'm probably going to be able to cram the most basic stuff in anyway.

Proceeded to build a pen for my dodos. Well, the "fence foundations" won't line up with ground foundations, so I had to place them by "eye" (?). Anyhow, I thought I left some space between the pen and the house, but the row of fence foundations parallel to the house wall was apparently too close and wanted to snap into the wall (yes yes, they DO snap to the foundations, just at the wrong height!). So, again, demolish some already placed bits and place the pen further away and well... 2*3 in size rather than 3*2, which is just an orientation issue, I know. But I like my things well aligned. :pout:

Next, decided to go for a thatch roof but since the house is 3*4, I ended up with a hole in the middle of the roof where the roof pieces can't snap. Unless I place a pillar right in the middle of the house's one big room. And pillars are a pain, since they seem to snap not to the top of each other but to the middle, requiring many more of them. Maybe they can snap to the top too, I dunno... I never managed. :dunno:

Not sure I'll be playing again soon... :dry:
Then again, I do have a minty green parasaur in the garden (untamed, but he seems to like it there) and two trilobites nearby. I've left them alone so far - I don't have much storage space yet anyhow.
:zzz:

10 Sep 2020 01:12 - 10 Sep 2020 01:16 #30997 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Hey, I've just been sailing round that peninsula. :)
Don't have the patience for all that intricate building though. I was planning on dropping a simple Bed'N'Shed there but other things intervened.

First I was attacked by a Sarco while I was sailing! :shakefist:
After an initial panic I fired off two or three close range bolts and my Pteranodon finished him off!

I then had to spend some time gathering resources to repair the raft but found a few more ruins. :)
After that I took to the air to try to find some richer metal on the higher ground. Yes, yes, I know... Caves! :eyeroll:
But the online map says there are some "above ground" metal thingies around here but I can't see them...

Then it got dark quick so I tried to settle down on the beach and pick up a supply drop but something quick and angry started to charge at me in a music-changing way and cos it was dark I couldn't tell what it was so I just jumped on my flappy friend and took to the sky where it couldn't reach me. That's the other great bonus of flying.

So it was back to the raft to cook a bit of meat and feed my wings until the sun comes up again.
Attachments:

10 Sep 2020 09:12 #30998 by Charlotte
There is metal above ground too, up on mountains, from what I understood back when I looked it up. I just figured the mountains were further away and harder to reach than the nearest caves... :)

10 Sep 2020 11:32 - 10 Sep 2020 11:34 #31001 by Valence
After double-checking on the map (again!) I think I should have been flying further to the left in the last screenie. I was a bit wary of going too far inland there because the trees were very dense and from the air you can't see what nasties are lurking beneath.
Having sailed this far along the south coast I'm now tempted to go all the way East across to Herbivore Island as I know there's some rich metal there and no nasties at all. But it IS a long way from my "home" so I'd probably have to build another proper base there with a smithy/forge/storage because it'd be a chore to repeatedly transport everything back.

I'll just be glad to see one of those rocks. I still don't even know what they look like! :P

10 Sep 2020 11:56 #31005 by Charlotte
They might be easier to find if you knew...

10 Sep 2020 13:48 #31008 by Valence
:lol:
That's probably another good reason to go to the safe island so that I can learn about what I should be looking for without having to worry about an army of ants or raptors sneakig up on me.
But that massive Moby Dick thing can spawn in the waters around there so I may just fly for the last bit of the journey. :hmm:

10 Sep 2020 14:31 - 10 Sep 2020 14:32 #31009 by Charlotte
Meanwhile, I had to build two pillars to hold up the roof, because I had the floor foundations oriented one way and you can only place pillars at certain points on two sides, not all four. If the whole floor had been done the other way, I'm guessing one pillar would have worked. With two pillars taking up room I figured maybe I could make a "loft" up there. After many tries where the ladders insisted on positioning themselves so that you had to climb up where there was no opening above your head instead of where there was, I finally made a trap door sort of thing. Yay, and the ladders work! But now the roof is of course too low for me to actually get up there.... :stare: (I should have known)

Also, WHY IS IT RAINING IN MY HOUSE!? I DO have a roof now!!! :argh:

EDIT: Oh and of course I'm not happy with how I've laid down the water pipes so they all have to go and be done again... :dry:

10 Sep 2020 18:48 #31013 by Charlotte
Piping has been redone. I now have water for my crops and in my house. In two ways, since it's also still raining through the roof (I think it's the two parts that needed pillars for support. Maybe I should just add an inner ceiling and pretend I have an attic up there...

I also managed to eat the first bunch of seeds I meant to plant. Obviously. Since I only had one citronal seed. *sigh* And I think I need another name for my Moschops. I'd already used Moses and Mochi and those died fairly quicky so it seemed kind of bad to use those names again. Next name on M.... well I could only think Marcus, but that was no good. It got creepy with him always being there right behind me. Luckily I could change the name, so I went with Mosley. Which ended up equally bad. I think I need something very non-human. :dry: (And now I know I won't be naming any future parasaurs Valence, for the same reasons!).

I kind of like the whole gathering resources and build a house part of this game, except there are so many issues like with the ladders etc. When I redid the irrigation/piping/plumbing, I started with a vertical section. It seemed reasonable and I needed somewhere to attach other elements. But when putting a vertical down where I put it, I could only aim other pieces in a few distinct directions (meaning, not all four, like I had expected). So I had to rethink the whole thing and now I have something that....flies? Well, OK it IS attached to the house wall at one point. Everything else is floating in the air.

Oh and I think I have a dodo stuck under my plantation (which I decided to place on a thatch foundation because of the uneven ground and I thought it'd help figuring out the piping). It's not one of mine, though. I have several wild ones strutting about outside the pen trying to make my dodos jealous. Trying to incite a riot, no doubt! :paranoid:

10 Sep 2020 19:00 #31014 by Valence
When I said you should get something that flies I didn't mean floaty plumbing parts. :lol:

Has it stopped raining in now? And did you close the trap door? ;)

The building/farming part of the game is something I haven't really done to the level you have. I just like the exploring bits. Perhaps that's because of the 1 hour limit when I play. You don't really have enough time to plan and build a complicated construction in a single session. Even that bland shack of mine took two sessions. :dry: