April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

28 Jun 2020 18:44 #29884 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
still can't kill that blasted bird... I've tried googling some more... but the only fix I found does not apply... everything else is about how to tame them or jokes about how to kill them (because it shouldn't be that hard).

guess I'll have to check my settings, maybe that fix has something to do with it anyways (if my damage is somehow set to 0, but accordig to the fix this should affect harvesting trees etc too, and it doesn't...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jun 2020 18:53 - 28 Jun 2020 19:15 #29885 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
You could try to get one of your other tamed animals to attack it.. unless they're stuck in rocks too. :lol:

I think the spiked walls also do some extra damage to the beasties. I might add one of those to my inventory just to drop in the way when something big charges.

But I too am a "hide hoarder". I find them to be the hardest low level resource to acquire and far too many crafted things seem to use them. Especially saddles and beds! :ohmy:

28 Jun 2020 19:03 #29886 by Charlotte
and rafts! and forges and smithys! and clothing!

Dropping it in the way would require both a shortcut key and a click to accept position... Seems risky...

I think all my animals are nice and peace loving. It's why I don't want to kill their friend in their enclosure...

28 Jun 2020 19:19 #29887 by Valence
Yes, I'm dreading the grinding for metal/forge/ingot/smith/everything after. Not having to worry about that is one of the few good things about being under level 20. :P

And the single spike wall drop tactic looked really easy when the guy in the video did it. I'm sure it'll be just as easy when I try it. :whistle:

28 Jun 2020 20:28 #29888 by Charlotte
I still can't kill that stupid dodo. Neither a lystrosomething or a parasaur would touch it when set to attack my target... (And I've disowned? disclaimed? :dumb: the dodo several times, but that doesn't make a difference.) And then the parasaur warned of danger and I killed a dilophosaur before realising I should have let it kill the dodo before killing it - thereby getting MORE hides!

The poop setting continues to baffle me. The info refers to "characters". I'm not sure if that's supposed to only be players or animals too. But it also says that a lower setting should decrease the amount of poop and when I lowered it to zero, chaos followed in the pen. Oh my, the smell! I upped it again but I still think they poop way too much.

And after having enabled "creative mode" I can see ALL engrams when I need to craft something which means I can't find the things I need. Though there might be a filter for that (I disabled creative mode again, but it didn't change the engram thingies - now I've quit altogether, hoping a restart might fix things).

28 Jun 2020 20:51 - 28 Jun 2020 20:53 #29889 by Valence
If you REALLY want to get rid of the dodo you could try the console commands. After targetting it, "Kill" leaves a corpse for you to harvest or "DestroyMyTarget" gets rid of it completely.

Edit:
And I didn't know about Creative Mode.
Or if I did I've forgotten about that too. :dumb:
*goes off to google*

28 Jun 2020 22:25 #29890 by Charlotte
I didn't know either until I noticed it in the settings... but closing the game and reopening (not just exiting to main menu) did not remove the extra engrams, unfortunately.

and I don't even know how to use console commands... Although I'm sure it's easy enough to find, if I could be bothered... Also, while I DO want to kill the dodo for resources, I also want to be sure the same thing won't happen all over again with the next animal...

then again maybe this killing farmed animals for hides isn't all that useful. I've gained several hides and lots of meat just by killing nearby predators... One of those birds attacked while I was in the dodo pen. They got very upset, before I even realised what was happening. The no-kill dodo valiantly attacked the birdie, and seemed unharmed by that too... I think it must simply be invincible... Anyway, I rushed up on the roof of my building, equipped my bow, missed the birdie several times, and then apparently killed it with a single shot? (Unless the previous shots didn't miss as much as it looked like...)

28 Jun 2020 22:39 #29891 by Valence
Maybe the attacking Dodo did all the damage before your arrow!
You could go into battle with that Dodo at your side. :)

I haven't used the console in Ark but I did accidently open the command window while groping for the wrong keys early in the game. I think it's TAB? Or the key just above it.
I often use the console in Skyrim/Enderal and Fallout to access the free camera for better screenshots and I did contemplate using the commands to remove that eternally dead Orc from my Skyrim "house" until I started having too much fun with his body :lol:

28 Jun 2020 22:43 #29892 by Charlotte

Maybe the attacking Dodo did all the damage before your arrow!
You could go into battle with that Dodo at your side. :)

I have considered it...

...I did contemplate using the commands to remove that eternally dead Orc from my Skyrim "house" until I started having too much fun with his body :lol:

That sounds so very wrong :S

29 Jun 2020 01:45 - 29 Jun 2020 01:46 #29894 by Valence
Had a little playthrough of the opening of that Tomb Raider game...

..and it wasn't long before I was stranded on an island with a bow and arrow hunting for food to cook on my camp fire. And there I was thinking I was playing this for a bit of a change. :lol:
And after a couple of strangely familiar climbing puzzles I realised/remembered/discovered that the recent movie was based on this particular game. Thankfully my memory of that isn't good enough for spoilers. :)
Attachments: