March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Gaming

29 May 2020 13:55 #29291 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
ssd :dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 May 2020 14:46 #29292 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Spinny disk slow.
Solid thing not so slow. :aha:

The Internet has just informed me that An Olde Game I've never heard of called Arx Fatalis is currently free providing you sign up for an email and promise to use Bethesda's clunky launcher. :dry:
Can't post the links on my tablet but a googling will take you there if you like the sound of it. :confident:

29 May 2020 16:15 #29293 by Charlotte
shouldn't that be "slow spinny disk"? :dumb:

well I googled it and had some deja vu so I think you might have tried to explain this to me before. I also checked my old external storage thingy which apparently could hold 500 Gb (a LOT considering how old it is). Maybe I should just use that - it it still works. But I don't think it's SSD and I'm not sure I can use it to run things, only store files...?

29 May 2020 17:14 - 29 May 2020 17:17 #29294 by Valence
Well, I've just tried and failed to get that free game. Bethesda's shockingly bad website won't let me click the box that I need to click! :rage:
And then Firefox tells me that "this website is slowing down your browser" and recommends that I shut it down. I tried from Bethesda's equally awful launcher (which I reluctantly have because Morrowind) and that then launches the Firefox browser and takes me to the very same website that doesn't work properly. :eyeroll:
I didn't really want that game anyway.

My extra 2nd drive is still an internal one. I remember opening my PC and fitting it on Christmas Day so that I could install Witcher 1! :lol:
I'm not entirely sure about using external storage to run games/software. It can sometimes cause problems with the launchers when you unplug them and your PC "forgets" that you own them. Also everything will be then coming through the USB port which I think is a bit slower than the internal SATA ports.

During that pause I just googled and found out that the new USB 3.0 isn't that much difference to eSata speeds. :shrug:
And I've also googled and found that you might indeed be able to play from external drives. If you try then I'd probably keep it connected all the time just to be safe but maybe that's just me being paranoid. :dumb:

29 May 2020 17:57 #29295 by Charlotte

My extra 2nd drive is still an internal one. I remember opening my PC and fitting it on Christmas Day so that I could install Witcher 1! :lol:

You make it sound like you were 13 at the time. As far as I recall it wasn't quite that long since you got witcher 1.... :dry:

29 May 2020 18:11 #29296 by Valence
It was 5 whole months ago. Before all the numerous versions of the apocalypse occurred. Legend tells of a time when masks were unworn, hands rarely washed and the great "outside" was a place that actually existed. :lol:

And in that free game update... It seems that I'm now only allowed to click that box on the website if I can first answer this security question. :eyeroll:
And I can't answer the security question. That is one very secure question. :)

29 May 2020 18:25 #29297 by Charlotte
:giggle:

I can't recall where I was on the web but a few days ago I was at this page with a captcha to make sure I wasn't a robot. Only I didn't actually need to prove anything actively - apparently it was automatic... :dry:

29 May 2020 20:19 #29298 by Valence
Wish I got one of those. :dry:
I seem to get the fire hydrant one with alarming regularity.

29 May 2020 22:17 - 29 May 2020 22:19 #29299 by Valence
...meanwhile...
I went into that tavern while exploring the mountain-side town in Enderal and I found all the usual things: a bar, drinks, someone singing ballads, people gossiping about some guy caught in a compromising position while dressed as a priest, and... Gambling tables! :eek:
Sadly I was unable to do any gambling at the time as it seems to only be allowed at night, so I guess I'll have to wait to see what kind of Gwent/Caravan style games they have to offer. But I can predict right now with a high level of confidence that I'll probably be rubbish at them. :)

It made me try to think again about all of the other mini games-within-games to recall any that I was actually good at. :dry:
I have managed to win a couple of Dice Poker matches in Witcher 1 but that seems to be mostly luck.
My best efforts were probably during the pub games in Fable. I was fairly competent at that Pairs card game and Coin Golf was fun and challenging without too many losses.
Bring back Coin Golf, I say. Or Shove Ha'penny. :lol:

I shall no doubt return to the subject with tales of great monetary loss.

30 May 2020 10:24 - 30 May 2020 10:24 #29302 by Charlotte

Loading program: DesertIslandDrama.vrat
Size: 3 players
Resources: Normal

Spawning players on beach.

Player 1 has been washed away by an unusually high tide.
Player 2 has traded a coconut with Player 3 for 10 credits.
Player 3 has planted a coconut.
Players are getting hungry.
Player 3 has grown a coconut tree.
Player 3 has eaten a coconut. Player 3 is no longer hungry.
Player 3 has traded a coconut with Player 2 for 30 credits.
Player 2 has eaten a coconut but is still hungry.
Player 3 has traded a coconut with Player 2 in exchange for building a tent.
Player 3 is sleeping inside their tent.
Player 2 is cold.
Night falls.
A passing ship is offering trading.
Player 2 has traded 30 credits for a musket.
Player 3 has been shot twice in the head while sleeping.
Player 2 wins.
Player 2 has died from cold and starvation.