April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

16 Aug 2019 15:21 #25655 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
Must have missed Rebel Galaxy :P
Elite Dangerous sounds more combat oriented (NMS seem to have a few more options - and even under water exploration :woohoo:)

No game can usually hold my interest for very long at a time, but if I like them, at least I can come back to them...
(And NMS is currently 50% off on GOG)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2019 20:17 - 16 Aug 2019 20:20 #25662 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Underwater? :hmm:
You just want another Subnautica sequel, don't you? :)

I don't know if Rebel Galaxy is any good, but the freebies are always worth a try.

The Way Of The Voice is now the next Skyrim quest I plan on delaying as long as possible. High Hrothgar is one big mountain and 7000 steps is.... a lot of steps! So I'm gonna go to Valtheim Towers next, I have a couple of little jobs that send me there and I may as well kill two sets of bandits with one "stone." (Hopefully the two jobs in one place won't cause a buggy conflict. :S I'll save regularly just in case.)
One of the jobs is to return something to Amren and I couldn't remember who Amren even is, so I've just been wandering round Whiterun trying to find him so that I know who to give the thing to. (I know I can rely on quest markers but it's more fun this way. :))
I couldn't find him but I think I found his wife which then reminded me of those two shifty guys looking for a Redguard woman. (I initially thought that they meant Irileth but she's a Dunmer. I do get mixed up with my fictional races of Tamriel!) I didn't trust those guys so I'm not gonna cause any trouble there. I'll keep my investigation low-key.... For now! :)

17 Aug 2019 10:23 #25663 by Charlotte
well... No man's Sky won't even launch. I haven't specifically compared requirements but I'm pretty sure it should work. Also, many others seem to report the exact same problem with this release. So I'll wait a bit and see if they fix it, I guess. And then, if I remember and it still doesn't work, I'll ask for my money back.

17 Aug 2019 13:30 #25664 by Valence
Well that's annoying! :(
Just had a look in the Steam discussions and some people seem to have fixed it by messing with the graphics configuration files but then there are others who are deleting something from the registry! :ohmy:
Better just wait for now. :)

It's this kind of thing that makes me yearn for my old, dead Xbox. You didn't have to install the games, you just put the disc in and it was guaranteed to work without having to resort to manually rewriting config files.

17 Aug 2019 13:49 #25665 by Charlotte
I've never rewritten config files anyway...

But today I'm feeling stupid :cry: (and not in the way of yesterday when I filed a bug about my vehicle being unresponsive only to moments later realize it was out of battery power... :eyeroll:)

Today I decided to try to use some mods for the original subnautica. To use them you apparently need a mod manager and a mod helper. and the mod manager installation only creates an empty folder and an uninstall.exe - and the helper won't even download until the manager works... No clue what it is I don't get... :(

17 Aug 2019 14:07 #25666 by Valence
When I modded Morrowind I didn't use any manager at all, I just manually copied the files over. This is apparently "a bad thing" because it sometimes over-writes game files and loses the original. It doesn't matter when it works but if it goes wrong then you can't remove the mods and you have to then reinstall the game.
So with Skyrim I did start using a manager. I use the one called Vortex and it makes it easy to add and remove mods without too much fuss although if you remove a mod that uses scripts you usually have to "end" it in the in-game console beforehand. I had to do that with that horse mod that I didn't like.

Not having played Subnautica, I'm not sure if it works the same way. There are usually some YouTube videos that take you through the process. I ended up watching quite a few tutorials before risking my precious Skyrim. :)

17 Aug 2019 14:26 - 17 Aug 2019 15:13 #25667 by Charlotte
but I don't get how it can be difficult... download manager. done. install in game folder. done. but empty.

EDIT: having thought for a bit, I suspect it's supposed to be empty and you're to fill it with mods folders :dry: Trying that now. (But I can't find the mod I really wanted!)

17 Aug 2019 15:16 #25668 by Charlotte
Yup, first mod worked. Now if I can find the fancy one... (and there's one I'm considering that's in a rar archive rather than zip and apparently I'd have to download something just to extract it. Annoying.)

17 Aug 2019 15:22 #25669 by Valence
Doesn't 7zip extract everything?

Glad you've got it working... sort of.
I've just been googling and was gonna ask which version of the game you have, ie. Steam/Epic/GoG/whatever. Sometimes the process can be different for each one. But if you have a working mod then that's irrelevant now. :)

17 Aug 2019 15:40 #25670 by Charlotte
well I don't have 7zip. just whatever comes with windows. I used to have 7zip on an older computer but at some point the who explorer window layout got changed and I didn't like it (nor could I change it back). Not sure if it was 7zips fault, but still... :dry:

(and I have Subnautica on Epic)