April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Hello All, Room For One More?

08 Mar 2016 17:34 #13485 by Terrafora
Hi guys,

I'm not really much of an artist yet, but I'm hoping to become one.

When I was younger I got guided away from art so that I could tackle more "practical" skills and since then I've barely put pencil to paper meaning that any skills I did have, have disappeared. Recently however, I've started taking a 3D modelling course in Blender and rediscovered the joy of creating and so I've picked up my pencils again.

Other than that...

I'm 24 and attending university where I study Japanese and media. I'm currently in my second of three years and this year I will finish the Japanese language modules.
I'm being made redundant at work soon so I'll have ample time over the summer and coming year to practice, practice, practice my art.
I also like video games and would one day like to get to a level in art ability where i could work as a concept artist as working as a user/systems support engineer is not a future I want to live in.

In regards to art

As a beginner all I'm doing is drawing and practicing what I've got in an imaginefx magazine on anatomy however from here where should I go once i start getting a feel for it?

Thanks for reading and I hope to speak with you soon. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Mar 2016 22:38 #13488 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Hello All, Room For One More?
Welcome Terrafora! There's always room for one more :lol:

Some of the rest of us aren't much in the way of artists either but I can guarantee one thing.....posting your art on here will mean you have joined a group of supportive like minded individuals.

Anatomy references from imaginefx is a great place to start, where to go from there is really dependant on where you are right now and where it is you want to go. I see you say you would like to work in the games industry but the learning curve will be so much easier for you if you start on subjects that ignite your passion as opposed to studies that you do purely to develop your skills (and there'll be plenty of time for that sort of thing later!)

Post some of your work so we can take a gander and I'm sure there will be no shortage of people who would be happy to give you some critique.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your time here! :woohoo:

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

09 Mar 2016 01:46 #13491 by Valence
Hello there! :waves: And Welcome!

It's always good to hear of people picking up their pencils and being eager to develop. IFX mags are a fantastic introduction into the necessary techniques. Also any Andrew Loomis book you can get your hands on will give you plenty of educational rewards.
Keep reading, keep learning and, most of all, keep drawing! (No-one got better at drawing by not drawing!)

If you're looking for structured lessons then I know there are a few people on here who have tried Schoolism courses and have seen their work develop in new and interesting ways. Or just post some pics in the gallery/sketchbook sections and see what tips and ideas come your way! :)

10 Mar 2016 15:51 - 10 Mar 2016 15:52 #13500 by microscopi
Hey Terra, welcome to the artists guild! :woohoo:

Everyone here is real friendly and supportive, so you'll get some good advice on how to improve your art skills. Were all basically the same skill level, so it's not so intimidating to submit your stuff. Look forward to seeing it! B)