April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Windows 10

05 Aug 2015 12:14 #11977 by Banj
Windows 10 was created by Banj
So Windows 10, anybody using it? Opinions, problems, criticisms, etc. I just burned an install DVD but I'm debating whether I want to actually install it yet... or at all. :hmm:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Aug 2015 13:24 - 05 Aug 2015 13:25 #11978 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Windows 10
Haven't installed it yet. My computer is shouting at me to do a backup security thingy first which is long overdue anyway, so I guess I'll need to get that over with...

I have an external harddrive that I used to use for both backups (one partition) and my old computer's file (Another partition) but I want to increase the size of the backup partition and have no idea how to do that (would like to join two partitions together but that seems to be impossible - I can only create more and ever smaller partitions...) Any advice? (If I reformat the whole thing I need to first save the old computer's file onto my new computer so I can save it back there again and it just seems a Little redundant...)

Anyway I got off topic fast enough, but thanks for reminding me: I just sent an email off asking one of the web admins at work whether Windows 10 will affect my ability to do certain things from home (website management thingies that apparently didn't work with win 8 )

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

05 Aug 2015 13:41 #11979 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Windows 10
Partition wise maybe something like these:

www.partition-tool.com/
www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/eshop.html
gparted.org/
or if you want to go really wild (I've found this useful on a number of occasions): www.ultimatebootcd.com/

10 Aug 2015 11:08 #12000 by Banj
After many hours of attempting to upgrade to Windoze 10 I now know for certain that something happened.

20 Jul 2016 11:46 #14183 by Banj
Rise... RISE... be born again oh dead thread... SHAZAM!... :dead: :zzz: :sleepy: :stare: :argh:

... thread resurrected successfully.

So I will now be moving to Win 10 from 7 over the next few days (not an update that fails to update this time, instead another computer once it's built). Apart from the whole privacy shenanigans that I'm already aware of, is there anything else anyone has had to deal with or is it all going swimmingly. Surely somebody is using it somewhere (and I wont call you Shirley any more).

:hmm:

20 Jul 2016 12:04 #14184 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Windows 10
so you don't like Windows 10? can you enlighten me on the issues with it, as i literally updated my Cintiq Companion when 10 came out and i've not used it since so i don't know if its good or bad? I should really sell my Cintiq to be honest..

20 Jul 2016 12:07 #14185 by Banj

so you don't like Windows 10?

I don't know yet, I've never used it :lol:

can you enlighten me on the issues with it,

That's what I want to know, hence the thread resurrection :P

20 Jul 2016 12:09 #14186 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Windows 10
lol i read you'd be moving FROM Windows 10 to 7!

my eyes, they see whatever they want! ok i'll wait to hear too

20 Jul 2016 13:26 #14187 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Windows 10
I'm using Windows 10. At first I had no issues at all, but then my computer started freezing on me, sometimes several times in a row... My brother and me THINK it's to do with my wacom tablet... He told me to try not having it connected which I did for several days without incident and then to uninstall, reinstall and update to the latest drivers. I did all that a couple fo days ago and the drivers page said it was for windows 10. But my puter still froze the other day... I only looked away for a minute and when I looked back I had a partially blue screen.... :(

In short, I'm not sure if it's my computer or windows 10. My computer has behaved badly before but a bit of dusting has helped - this time it hasn't...

Other than that I guess it's just a matter of getting used to things being different. Not too keen on the start menu for instance. It claims to list "all apps", but there's plenty it doesn't list. I guess because those programs still have the dignity to call themselves programs rather than apps. And it has this "sidebar" with images to the programs (sorry apps) it thinks you'll want to use, and it's not at all the ones I want plus it's animated which I find incredibly distracting. It can be customised with regards to what it shows, though... I've just not bothered because I seem to only loose things I can't find again. Since they're not listed... :unsure:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

20 Jul 2016 13:49 #14188 by Banj

I'm using Windows 10. At first I had no issues at all, but then my computer started freezing on me, sometimes several times in a row... My brother and me THINK it's to do with my wacom tablet... He told me to try not having it connected which I did for several days without incident and then to uninstall, reinstall and update to the latest drivers. I did all that a couple fo days ago and the drivers page said it was for windows 10. But my puter still froze the other day... I only looked away for a minute and when I looked back I had a partially blue screen.... :(

In short, I'm not sure if it's my computer or windows 10. My computer has behaved badly before but a bit of dusting has helped - this time it hasn't...

Could be any number of things causing it to freeze. I know win 10 forces updates on you, so if there was an update before the problems started you could try rolling back the system to an earlier state. If the screen randomly changed colour you might want to check the gfx card and the drivers for that... and if your motherboard has an on-board display adapter, you could try removing the gfx card and using the onboard for a while instead to see if that makes any difference. Could be some dodgy RAM about to die, or something as simple as a cable vibrating loose (that happened to me once with a SATA cable being loosened by my gfx card which lead to system freezes)