April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Windows 10

26 Jul 2016 11:19 #14223 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Windows 10
I hated Windows 8 with a passion so the brief play I had with 10 looked a definite improvement but it really was brief, I need to have a proper look

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jul 2016 11:39 #14225 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Windows 10

You're a better man than I, Banj ;) What counts is you liking it :) I find navigating it to be more cumbersome, but as long as it makes sense to you, that's what counts :D

Mostly when I say I like it I mean that I don't dislike it :)

Generally performance is much better than it was in Windows 7, admittedly a lot of that is down to the computer but everything feels faster and snappier. Also programs that screwed around for me on Windows 7 appear to work better on Windows 10, and when something is required to be installed for it to run it actually asks me if I want to download it and install it instead of just leaving me to sort it out myself.

It isn't without problems, but I haven't found anything that has made me think I wasted my money buying and installing it on this machine in preference to Windows 7. And so far I have only encountered a couple of issues that I am trying to find a solution for. One appears to be a bug preventing me from adding a user image to my account which isn't a big deal, the other is preventing me from getting pressure sensitivity in Photoshop (I have managed to get it to work a couple of times but then it goes back to ignoring it).

28 Jul 2016 08:45 #14228 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Windows 10
I had issues with pressure for previous versions of Photoshop. The Use Windows Ink thing was screwing it up. Inserting the text file (mentioned here: helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/tablet-support-faq-photoshop.html ) solved the issue. The very latest version of Photoshop seems to be ok however and doesn't require the extra file.

As ever, your issue may be something else of course.

28 Jul 2016 09:51 #14229 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Windows 10
My tablet occassionally loses the pressure sensitivity too... Last time I had to reset settings and restart several times before it worked again. But at least there IS a fix. (Wacom something and Art Rage, here). Yesterday my comp froze on me several times :(

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

28 Jul 2016 11:36 #14230 by Banj

I had issues with pressure for previous versions of Photoshop. The Use Windows Ink thing was screwing it up. Inserting the text file (mentioned here: helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/tablet-support-faq-photoshop.html ) solved the issue. The very latest version of Photoshop seems to be ok however and doesn't require the extra file.

As ever, your issue may be something else of course.

Thanks Joe. I'd seen mention of the Windows Ink thing in a few discussions on the subject but hadn't seen that page (or the suggested solution in detail). Sadly it didn't work when I tried it in a range of different tests with various settings. I'm also not using a Wacom tablet on this computer I have a Huion 1060 Pro (which so far is very nice), so it may be a different problem, but it is definitely specific to Photoshop.

My tablet driver has a checkbox which you are supposed to disable if you have problems with pressure, it doesn't say specifically what it does but I am guessing it's similar to the one in the Wacom drivers. Switching that on and off during the tests didn't change anything either.

My tablet occassionally loses the pressure sensitivity too... Last time I had to reset settings and restart several times before it worked again. But at least there IS a fix. (Wacom something and Art Rage, here). Yesterday my comp froze on me several times :(

So far for me pressure is fine and stable in every other application. With Photoshop it just isn't there at all... except sometimes (though not always) if I change the compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (sometimes 3) it will start up with pressure recognition, but if I close it and restart it the pressure has gone again. It's very odd.

29 Jul 2016 14:13 #14239 by Banj
Today I think have changed my mind.

:argh: :rage: :nope: :grr:

29 Jul 2016 14:33 #14240 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Windows 10
:ohmy: :(

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.