April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

The Trailer Park

15 Sep 2017 10:38 #18181 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
Haven't seen it. Looked it up and IMBd merely states it's about a woman who receives the manuscript/draft of a book. Doesn't sound very intriguing or even interesting. So I read the wikipedia article as well, even though it gives away a bit much... Still didn't get an idea of the "feeling" of the movie. But I'll take your word for it, might watch if it's ever on here. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Sep 2017 10:40 #18182 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic The Trailer Park
I have seen it advertised and totally ignored it, but my niece recommended I watched it, its once section of the movie that is very tense, the rest is just ok but worth a watch for the tense bits :)

15 Sep 2017 11:38 - 15 Sep 2017 11:44 #18183 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic The Trailer Park
Yeah I've seen it. Found it a bit strange in some parts, but it is a very dark movie indeed, but I enjoyed it too. :) I'd say even borderline to one of those very rare films that actually bothers me. (meaning the subject matter, not to give anything away) ... And though I find that Jake Gyllenhaal himself can be a tad strange at times with some of his roles, I do find that I've enjoyed most of the movies that I've seen him in. And similarly, I've enjoyed most roles Amy Adams has done. So thought it was worth a watch having them both in it. :)

To explain what I mean about movies that bother me... There's only a few films that has bothered me in such a way, like say, Black Hawk Down. (Even though I'm not a huge fan of war movies) - I found it to be a very good movie that was well made, but due to the subject matter and story, it tends to put me in a foul or even angry mood by the end of it. (which I don't like to feel - but again, it's the acting, story telling, etc. that has to be good to pull you in and make one feel such a way.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

15 Sep 2017 11:42 #18184 by Charlotte
I think I know what you mean... After I'd seen one flew over the cuckoo's nest (I think that's the english title?) I was furious at how the people were treated...

And - perhaps a less common reaction :P - when I saw the taming of the shrew with Elizabeth Taylor I was likewise furious at how she kept "losing", though I felt she'd every right to be her own person and have her own opinions. I know it's supposed to be a comedy but I certainly didn't feel like I had watched one :P

15 Sep 2017 12:03 #18186 by Digital Dave
Yep, and a very good example you provide of what i mean. (And yes, you're correct on the title) - A lot of folks will agree that 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' is a great movie, and is thought to be one of Jack Nicholson's best. But it's also sad, and puts you in a mood afterwards because you feel so bad for the character/s that they portray.

I guess it takes a well done movie to pull one in to the point of making them feel in such a way, but I still hate when a movie is that good. :)

15 Sep 2017 12:05 #18187 by Charlotte
Yeah it tends to ruin your day. And even more so since the injustices are usually a thing of the past so you can't even go out and do something about it! :P

15 Sep 2017 13:38 #18188 by kazky
same for me Dave, the subject matter bothered me and how it was done is something that I fear could actually happen. For me to actually watch a movie and become that involved is quite rare though so it definitely drags you in.

15 Sep 2017 17:21 #18189 by Digital Dave
And sadly you're correct that those things can and do happen. - Like Charlotte said 'It tends to ruin your day' That's honestly the reason I don't watch the news. I can't stand hearing about all the sickening crap people do in this world today. It's depressing and scary, and just something I don't care to keep hearing about. I'm mean, unless I want to walk around depressed or pissed off all the time.

My wife's a big news watcher, and she's always getting upset. No matter how much I tell her she needs to stop watching it. - I tell her it's not healthy to keep letting things depress you.

15 Sep 2017 20:05 #18190 by kazky
God i’m the same, I never watch the news, the odd time I hear it I get so sad that theres such cruel people and situations in the world. People tell me I should watch & be up to date on world affairs but i’m happy in my bubble, what doesn’t affect me doesn’t impact me. Some say that’s selfish, I call it my sanity

15 Sep 2017 22:16 #18191 by Digital Dave
Oh, I know. I get the same thing, Kaz. - People stating stupidly; 'You should really keep up with the on-goings of the world, how else will you know what's happening?' ... It's not like I don't hear about most of it anyway, between the gossipers, radio, etc. But I'm sure as hell not going to waste my time sitting in front of a TV desiring it each day. ... Or sometimes they say, 'The news isn't just about reporting the bad stuff, they tell the good stories too' Really?... Well, they should start keeping count, and they will see it's a pretty steep ratio, because sadly, death, violence and destruction is what sells. And all the news stations eat it up, no matter what they say. The messier, the better for them, because the ratings do go up. - And if things do calm down some, they can always fall back on their old reliable, racism. :) ... It's just so sad.

And yep, they can call me selfish as well. But then that would just prove they sure as hell don't know me. :)