April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

The Trailer Park

13 Jul 2020 22:53 - 13 Jul 2020 22:54 #30148 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Trailer Park
I enjoyed Discovery, even if both seasons started better than they finished.
The casting/performance of Captain Pike was inspired, so I'm glad he's getting the chance to have his own show.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jul 2020 07:11 #30151 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
Oh he is? I didn't know that - I just saw something about him not returning to Discovery for another season.

I wasn't crazy about the casting of Spock, but I guess Nimoy had a hard to find face.... Young Spock looked very much like a grown up version of little kid Spock, though :p

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

14 Jul 2020 14:39 #30154 by Valence
I believe it will be called Strange New Worlds. :confident:

I thought young Spock was a lot better than the recent movie Spock but you're right that Nimoy casts a long shadow that's difficult to fill.

14 Jul 2020 14:44 #30155 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic The Trailer Park

the recent movie Spock

You mean the deranged psychopath whose only similarity to Spock is that he shares the same name (much like all the other characters in those films)

14 Jul 2020 16:27 #30156 by Valence
I usually disagree with Banj on Star Trek/Wars things but you'll get no argument from me on this one.

Doesn't look like him, doesn't sound like him, doesn't act like him. :dunno:
I still think the new movies are more like Galaxy Quest than Star Trek.
I would have liked a proper sequel to that... while Alan Rickman was still alive. :dry:

14 Jul 2020 16:29 #30157 by Banj
By Grabthar's hammer, he will be avenged :shakefist:

14 Jul 2020 17:32 #30158 by Charlotte
I think Banj coonfuses the actor with his character in "Heroes" but.... I'm not gonna argue either. I enjoyed the new movies but I don't really consider them "Star Trek". Then again, I don't really think Discovery is like Star Trek usually is, either...

and don't remind me of Rickman :cry:

15 Jul 2020 11:22 #30164 by Banj

I think Banj coonfuses the actor with his character in "Heroes"

The Sylar character in Heroes actually has a lot more in common with the original Spock than the Spock in the terrible Abrams films does. He is pretty reserved, controlled, and logical. The Abrams Spock is not much different to the Kylo Ren character in his terrible Star Wars films. He is the least emotionally controlled character in the films, flies into a fit of rage at the slightest thing and his first impulse is to hit or throw something (although, if he was forced to sit through watching Star trek Into Darkness I can understand even Spock reacting like that). He is completely the opposite of what Spock is supposed to be.

I have the same issue with their portrayal of Kirk as a brash, reckless fool that just dives in to every situation with no consideration for the consequences and ignores everyone around him, and whose first impulse is to punch something.

15 Jul 2020 12:25 #30167 by Charlotte
True. But I feel the Discovery series suffers from similar issues. Crew members governed by their emotions and running off on their own for revenge or whatnot, pretty much all the time and in spite of promising to do no such thing only minutes prior. But I guess if they SAY it's not revenge, it really isn't... :dry:

19 Jul 2020 11:29 #30208 by Valence
Last night I tried to watch that Netflix film The Old Guard. Yes, I said "tried" and you probably know why. :lol:
I fell asleep through two thirds of the movie which was a bit too much to rewind through so I'll have to be content with just seeing the first part and the end. :P

The bits I did see weren't that great anyway. :dry: