March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Paintstorm Studio

02 Apr 2015 09:31 #9933 by Banj
Paintstorm Studio was created by Banj
New painting application Paintstorm Studio (windows only right now, Mac on it's way "soon" apparently). Looks like a cross between Corel Painter and Manga Studio, quite impressive considering it's made by one guy: www.paintstormstudio.com/

Haven't tried it, but from what I've read it seems a little unstable at the moment, and I'm not keen on the license being locked to the MAC address of your computer. But then it is only $19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Apr 2015 16:13 #10076 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Paintstorm Studio
That actually looks very cool. Will definitely keep an eye on it.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

12 Apr 2015 10:43 #10084 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Paintstorm Studio
That actually looks brilliant, so many good features. What does it mean to lock the license to the MAC address banj? Just that it's not usable on any other computer?

12 Apr 2015 21:52 #10091 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Paintstorm Studio

Just that it's not usable on any other computer?

Yup. If you want to install on another machine or if you make any changes to the hardware on the computer, you have to contact the developer to get a new licence sorted out before it will work.

13 Apr 2015 17:12 #10097 by kazky
That's a bit annoying definitely, I think i'll buy it though.

14 Apr 2015 07:41 #10104 by kazky
so I bought it last night, It was £13 and shrapnel so pretty good. I need to have a look at the tutorials and see how to sort out the font cos it's tiny on my cintiq and embarrassingly I can't see what it says properly!

15 Sep 2015 19:28 #12316 by Digital Dave
I see they finally have a Mac OS version available for Paintstorm. Might purchase a copy tonight to give it a whirl. ... Haven't had much time for anything lately, but been sketching some minor doodles the past couple nights just to try and get back into doing some art.

21 Sep 2015 00:03 #12374 by hansnomad
Replied by hansnomad on topic Paintstorm Studio
Paintstorm Studo is a fantastic program and I consider it a steal for what they are charging, but their license verification system is problematic.

People like me who are constantly upgrading and fiddling with their system hardware will find it extremely annoying that it's keyed to your hardware (You will have to e-mail the vendor for a new key any time you do any kind of hardware change). When I buy something, I expect to be able to use it, install, re-install, etc. without going through the vendor. It doesn't give me a very secure feeling (especially buying from a small one man operation) since the vendor can suddenly drop out of sight and I'm stuck with useless software I've come to depend on because it's keyed to my hardware.

I've given them this feedback as well as many other folks, but I don't think they are going to be very receptive so that in effect means, "no sale" for me.

21 Sep 2015 11:37 - 21 Sep 2015 11:42 #12378 by Digital Dave
All valid points Hans, and from what all I've read, I believe most feel the same as you do. It would be nice to have a different setup... Though, from everything I've been reading, it sound like he may even be getting additional people on board with the reception his program is getting. Who knows, he may even eventually change the license verification system itself due to demand, but we'll see?

I fooled with the program a little over the weekend and find it to be a nice addition to the other programs I presently work with, even though it's still missing some key components, which when I looked into the windows version should be coming along hopefully soon with updates (with the Mac version just recently being released and all) ... as for what may happen down the road? Dunno? Guess I'll just hope for the best! :D

Hell, I like fooling with Manga Studio 5 a lot too! But I still can't figure out why it crashes so much? Sometimes just 10 -15 minutes in, and it locks up my whole damn computer! :angry: - I can sometimes use the shortcut to key in a file save, but not always, but normally have to shut down the computer if I can't force-quit the program. ... It usually just aggravates me to the point of simply working the image back in PS. And I paid about the same for that program.

21 Sep 2015 12:11 #12381 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Paintstorm Studio

Hell, I like fooling with Manga Studio 5 a lot too! But I still can't figure out why it crashes so much? Sometimes just 10 -15 minutes in, and it locks up my whole damn computer! :angry: - I can sometimes use the shortcut to key in a file save, but not always, but normally have to shut down the computer if I can't force-quit the program. ... It usually just aggravates me to the point of simply working the image back in PS. And I paid about the same for that program.

Are you using the latest version (5.0.6), if not I would go and grab the update to see if that fixes the problem.