April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Offers-Deals-Discounts

07 Jan 2017 08:20 #15050 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
I'm tempted: velvetdeal.com/deals/body-chan-body-kun-manga-drawing-figure/
It's like ball jointed dolls for artists :P (well manga artists but I think they could be useful anyhow)

44% off currently (no idea how long the deal lasts) - it's still 100 dollars for male and female figure...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jan 2017 12:01 - 09 Jan 2017 12:07 #15069 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
That is tempting. However, one thing I've discovered over the years is that these mannequins, even very good ones, nearly always promise much but ultimately disappoint*. It's down to the individual of course but personally I know they would just gather dust - alongside my massive articulated spiderman.

I was quite taken by the realistic hands but eventually realised they are not super pose-able, just different solid poses. Still, it's a good price.

*Having said that, I'm always tempted by that big wooden horse mannequin you see in all good art shops.

09 Jan 2017 12:10 #15070 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
Didn't banj get one of these as a kickstarter? Actually maybe not these but something similar.

09 Jan 2017 13:31 #15071 by Charlotte
I know, Joe. That's why I can't make up my mind... I think they could help me with poses from different angles or in different lighting but would I use them or would they end up toys for my niece? :P

Looking for references online can be so frustrating though - like when all hand photos are taken from the opposite point of view you want, or you can't find the right facial angle or something... *still wavers*

Oh and they're about 1/7th of what I currently have in my bank account for food, bills and shopping sprees... hmmm...

10 Jan 2017 15:30 #15072 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts

Didn't banj get one of these as a kickstarter? Actually maybe not these but something similar.

I got a planar statue which isn't posable, I did want one of these a while back when I first heard of them but couldn't afford it.

10 Jan 2017 17:08 #15073 by Charlotte
Just found them for about 50 dollars for both, on AliExpress... My coworkers buy from there all the time. So I ordered it. Not sure it's gonna work though, they didn't ask me to verify the card like they're supposed to these days so it's possible my bank will just deny them. I guess. Uhm, we'll see. In like 3-4 weeks. Their delivery times weren't exactly the quickest.

10 Jan 2017 21:25 #15075 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts

I got a planar statue which isn't posable,

Those look good too. If I had a nice tidy shelf (like those guys on YouTube videos) I'd buy them anyway.

10 Jan 2017 21:27 #15076 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
I've just been checking these out on YouTube and they look pretty good! I really like the way the elbows and knees bend through such large angles!
But how do they stand up? Is it magnets or do they just have very heavy feet?
I just have two of those ugly, traditional artist mannikins that are nailed into a wooden base and I can't even get them to stay upright! :)

11 Jan 2017 08:23 #15078 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
i've got two of those stupid mannikins Val and the only point of them appears to be putting them in ridiculous poses :D i've never actually uses one for drawing.

11 Jan 2017 09:12 #15079 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts

Just found them for about 50 dollars for both, on AliExpress... My coworkers buy from there all the time. So I ordered it. Not sure it's gonna work though, they didn't ask me to verify the card like they're supposed to these days so it's possible my bank will just deny them. I guess. Uhm, we'll see. In like 3-4 weeks. Their delivery times weren't exactly the quickest.

Those are an even better price and even more tempting, I find there product listings a little confusing though when it comes to things like selecting the colour options which allow you to choose male and female figures.

But how do they stand up? Is it magnets or do they just have very heavy feet?

I believe they come with a stand that connects the the back of the figure.