April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Offers-Deals-Discounts

31 May 2020 13:26 #29317 by fabledgoat
Replied by fabledgoat on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but if anyone is looking for Adobe alternatives that are cheaper and still really good, give Affinity a try.

affinity.serif.com/

Affinity Photo - Like Photoshop
Affinity Designer - Like Illustrator
Affinity Publisher - Like Indesign

Photo and Designer have both tablet and desktop apps. Publisher is rumoured to be getting a tablet app later this year.

I can't see if it's still 50% off because I've already purchased them but it was as of a couple weeks ago. Each desktop app is about $35ca each right now with the tablet apps about $15can each. Could basically get all 5 available apps for around $150ca.

Programs are really good but do take some getting used.

Downside? : the tools and shortcuts are different than photoshop which can cause some aggravation.

A couple of kewl benefits:

- If you have all 3 apps, you can make adjustments in any of the programs using the other programs. The 3 programs are weaved seamlessly together with a link to switch tools to the other programs from within the one you're using.

- speed and live editing. when using blur and other filters there's a live option. when you choose this the curser shows you what the edit is going to look like in that spot before you click the curser down to start the edit. The speed is astonishing. Something that would lag photoshop considerably is extremely fast on Affinity Photo. I'm on an older 2015 MacBook Pro and there's no lag at all when using the feature.

I have Adobe so I still think to go there first, but this is a strong alternative that I'm trying to get used to. As a designer, I'm looking forward to when Publisher makes it to the tablets as I haven't seen anything about InDesign coming to tablets anytime soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jun 2020 12:58 #29771 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
There's 19 hours left to get 50% off Clip Studio Paint if you haven't already got it: www.clipstudio.net/en

23 Jun 2020 14:05 #29795 by Banj

Unity game engine have made their premium learning portal free for three months: unity.com/learn go learn to make games :confident:

They have now extended this and made it free forever.

20 Jul 2020 19:34 - 20 Jul 2020 19:39 #30237 by Banj
ACDSee Video Studio 3 is currently free for the next 48 hours or so EDIT - Correction offer ends 29th of July (go to link, input email address, they email a download link and serial number): www.acdsee.com/en/download-our-video-studio-for-free/

It's basically a simple Camtasia clone capture screen recording and edit add captions etc.).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Digital Dave, Valence

21 Jul 2020 00:38 #30239 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
I actually just tried to upload this, but the install package wouldn't open. I keep getting this message...

But I did e-mail them back, with this information included. I don't have any 'new' recording software, and only used an old one named 'Jing' but haven't use it for some time, but wanted to try a better one.

Guess I should have seen this coming, when the first test was asked to show you're not a robot, and they asked to check all the boxes with 'Traffic Lights' and this was the image provided... :S

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

21 Jul 2020 11:49 #30243 by Banj
:?
I'm very confused. You are getting an error about Messiah Studio? And with the captcha thing you just click skip like it says :blink:

21 Jul 2020 13:57 #30246 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
Just because of that, I had to try too. I encountered no errors. But I didn't bother finishing the registration, they were asking too many questions (like "choose a password" - technically not a question but does require thinking) and I felt too lazy....

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

21 Jul 2020 14:44 #30251 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
I've heard of a few people getting weird errors while trying to download/install. I haven't tried it yet but I will before the end of the week. It'd be nice to have a simple little video editor cos I get far too confused with the big professional ones like HitFilm, Resolve and OBS.
I keep trying with Blender too but the way you have to set rendering length as a number of frames rather than an actual time in minutes is very frustrating and I never seem to grasp the node editor either. (There's probably a way to make it all easier but I haven't discovered it yet.)

It'd be nice if this screen capture thing had an auto timelapse when recording but I'm not sure if it does. I don't understand why that function isn't more prevalent. Cafe Recorder is the only one I've ever found that does it.

21 Jul 2020 17:11 #30253 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Offers-Deals-Discounts
...just installed it now.
It doesn't have the option to speed up videos either in recording or editing. :(
But it is very easy to use which is a big plus. I'm getting a few errors on saving but I think that's down to my hardware acceleration settings. I'll have a fiddle with those later. :)

21 Jul 2020 17:20 #30254 by Banj