April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Krita - Free

14 Jan 2015 09:19 - 14 Jan 2015 09:20 #8144 by kazky
Krita - Free was created by kazky
So IFX highlighted this on Facebook the other day, and I remembered to download it yesterday. Its free, and an easy download, no putting in email addresses etc. There's a 64 bit and 32 bit version, as well as a Mac version.

I have to say, although I had a quick play with it, I'm really impressed. The interface is really polished, it looks very painter like, but much easier to fathom.

The colour picker is superbly responsive, which sounds silly but it is. The different brushes are very easy to pick up and use, and some of the tools look fantastic, although I didn't really check them out.
It worked well with my cintiq, I was able to map the pen buttons to resize brush without issues and it worked. I didn't try to set my express keys as I didn't have time.

So for the little investigation I did briefly it made me happy :) and i'll be looking at the tutorials later to work everything out.

Charlotte did you manage to play any more with it? Has anyone else downloaded it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jan 2015 11:32 #8145 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Krita - Free
I tried it out a few months back (it's also listed in the free apps in the resources section of the forum). If I didn't have all the other software I already have then I would probably be happy to use it. Unlike a lot of open source applications it does seem very polished and well thought out, and includes some nice features.

14 Jan 2015 11:47 #8146 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Krita - Free
yeah I saw it was listed there but I thought it was worthy of a discussion. Usually free software has the basics, which is fine, but i'm actually pretty surprised this has been put out free.

I'm thinking it could pretty much replace a few of my cheap/free software programs

14 Jan 2015 15:36 #8149 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Krita - Free
I haven't tried it but I've been reading reports from other users in different forums over the last few years or so. Most people say it's very good. A few shortcomings in the beginning but I believe they have been or are being ironed out. Like Banj, I'm so heavily invested in other stuff that I don't think I'll be trying it out soon but I'm happy to hear what your impressions are.

14 Jan 2015 18:27 - 14 Jan 2015 18:29 #8152 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Krita - Free
I haven't had time to use it much yet - still doodling away on Cersei in ArtRage. I did use it once while I already had Cersei open in ArtRage because you can only have one file at a time in that program and I needed to check some things... For that it worked fine, just took me a while to locate some of the tools I wanted :P But they were there and that's what matters!

EDIT: I wonder if it's called Krita because that means crayon (or chalk) in Swedish? :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

14 Jan 2015 21:38 #8156 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Krita - Free
I love how you are always translating things Charlotte!

I think I would like to give this app a go. I have been using PS elements 9 for a bizzilion years now. Time to try something else methinks.

Btw... If "Bizillion" means something in Swedish, I will be really impressed!!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

15 Jan 2015 07:55 #8162 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Krita - Free
sorry Dom :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

15 Jan 2015 13:15 - 15 Jan 2015 13:18 #8167 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Krita - Free
Never heard of it myself, but will be taking a look at it when I get the chance.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

26 Feb 2015 07:45 #9122 by Banj
Krita 2.9 has been released, seems a pretty significant update: krita.org/krita-2-9-the-kickstarter-release/

26 Feb 2015 08:33 #9123 by kazky
wow that looks a huge update! i'll have to check it out when I get home, the simplicity of the multiple views is impressive. Well done to the developer!