April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Looking for advice

08 Nov 2014 17:03 #7029 by crankshaft
Hey guys. Got a question for you. I'm open to any feedback.

My dream is to become a concept artist/designer. I thought about going back to school but the cons far out weigh the pros. Therefore I'm going the self taught route and I'm planning on signing up for online courses etc. Working a full time job (45 hours week) my biggest obstacle is time. I've trimmed my schedule as much as I can but I can only maximize 10 hours a week. I'd have to cut back on sleeping if I want more time and I already don't get enough sleep. My question: Given around 5 years will this be enough to get good at my art?

I've thoroughly consider other options such as working part time or switching to another full time job. They have their own disadvantages but I'll get into them later.

Thanks for any feedback!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Nov 2014 23:22 #7032 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Looking for advice
I think that if you want to work as a concept artist, realistically, you should do it full time.

Practically you could apply for art jobs until you get one. Look on line. Or, try your hand with board game, or card game companies, especially those that are just starting out. (I wrote "game designers looking for artists" into a search engine. Try it for yourself!) They are just as eager for artists as an artist is to get the work!

If you can already demonstrate a style that they like, then you will not need to worry about the ever elusive target of "getting good enough". It is they (your potential client) who will judge that and, as the saying goes, it's in the eye of the beholder, so if they like your style they will hire you now.

Like all creative jobs, you have to be prepared to be rejected and you have to be prepared to work at it full time.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

09 Nov 2014 09:00 #7036 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Looking for advice
A lot would depend on your current skill level. If by "self teaching" you mean that you are going to teach yourself anatomy, light and shade, composition, etc. - the basics - then you might struggle. If however you are alrady a skilled artist and are going to concentrate on producing a concept art portfolio then you may stand a better chance.

Most schooled artists might spend 3 - 4 years studying full time and then perhaps another year or two (depending on free time) building a portfolio.

15 Nov 2014 20:04 #7169 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Looking for advice
Thanks guys for the advice. I'm in the midst of transitioning to another job that should give me lots more time to draw.