April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Where is everyone?

11 Oct 2014 20:53 #6599 by octoberstormxx
Replied by octoberstormxx on topic Where is everyone?
I agree. Working for free never works out. The one you offer free work to will always demand more. Or am I the only one who has run into this problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Oct 2014 21:09 #6604 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Where is everyone?
Nope.

I have that problem too...

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

11 Oct 2014 21:12 #6606 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Where is everyone?

Anyway, I pop by often but because I have to log on each time, I often don't, so it may look like I'm not here but I am.

Guilty as charged :P I do the same thing. But it seems there's more of us around this weekend than last!

(And while I should have been painting - and done some household chores - I pretty much ended up playing Guild Wars. Again. It's a good thing I don't play everyday, 'cause I have an awefully hard time shutting it down and leaving. I planned to watch TV at 10 pm today and missed the mark - only to find that there was SPORTS on TV rather than what I wanted to watch. *grumbles* I could have stayed in GW! ... all night :P)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

11 Oct 2014 22:25 - 11 Oct 2014 22:25 #6610 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Where is everyone?
Well I haven't been around much as i've had some home issues & work is really busy at the moment so i've not been on much at wor, but it has been super quiet here.

I've been to Milton keynes today & had the best time, there was a market there & I got some really great 'cottage industry' stuff, loved it, spent a fortune :) oh and some yummy blood orange vodka of which i'm now partaking :)

12 Oct 2014 11:41 #6621 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Where is everyone?
blood orange vodka huh? Sounds about right for the season :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

12 Oct 2014 15:18 #6623 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Where is everyone?

@Joe A bit off topic but how do you become a freelancer? I'm stuck in a harsh day job irrelevant to art and I'm thinking of going into freelance.

My line is in editorial illustration so I can only speak about that really. If you are thinking about fantasy/scifi then I haven't a clue other than that the few fantasy illustrators I know mostly have agents.

Spend a lot of time building up a good portfolio - maybe two or three years (this is AFTER you have reached a good level of ability) - and then send out examples to people who you think might be interested.That's basically the starting point. Wait for replies. Request interviews if possible as face to face really does help (unless you're stupid and evil). Look at magazines to see if you can do what others are doing. Look at obscure "trade" magazines to see if they are using illustrations. My early successes were with Nursing Times magazine.

If you are lucky then offers of work will trickle in. You will either have to continue working in the day job (not good for the concentration/time) until you have a steady flow of work - or - you will have to live off savings, which is terrifying. You will have to frequently work through the night for the first ten years. Whatever you do, make sure your first efforts are impressive.

Enter competitions, they will help you cope with deadlines and pressure.
Submit entries to illustration annuals. They are actually quite good for catching the eye of art directors.
Oh, and probably most important of all at this stage, get a good portfolio site online. Do not rely on something like Deviant Art (super amateurish); it MUST be an easily navigatable site displaying your work and yours alone.
Do not work for free (unless it's a charity), you will always get nothing from it.

I could go on... ;)

Wow thank you for the detailed response. As of now I'm simply grinding the drawing fundamentals by reading books like Andrew Loomis, practicing anatomy, watching tutorials, networking etc. My biggest problem as of now is the lack of time due to the overtime of my day job. I can only spend about 10 hours a week drawing. Lol. It'll probably take me a hundred years to get better. :P

12 Oct 2014 16:53 #6624 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Where is everyone?

blood orange vodka huh? Sounds about right for the season :P

Lol I didn't even realise that, ha ha, very topical

13 Oct 2014 12:24 #6638 by AngieA
Replied by AngieA on topic Where is everyone?

Wow thank you for the detailed response. As of now I'm simply grinding the drawing fundamentals by reading books like Andrew Loomis, practicing anatomy, watching tutorials, networking etc. My biggest problem as of now is the lack of time due to the overtime of my day job. I can only spend about 10 hours a week drawing. Lol. It'll probably take me a hundred years to get better. :P

That's pretty much what I'm doing too Crank although I have a hard time getting Anatomy to stick in my mind, I blame my age ;) . We'll get there eventually if we stick at it.

13 Oct 2014 16:32 #6648 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Where is everyone?
For me, it's similar to what others have said. Works been extremely busy, not allotting for much computer time during the day. Other then the occasional peak here and there. ... And evenings, I've been dealing with some personal issues, and/or just being plain wiped out (little lazy maybe?)

Biggest issue at the moment is that I've been having issues with my eyes. Blurred & double vision, not being able to focus. I've actually had to occasionally use my computer glasses just to watch television. And now even when I have the glasses on, stuff on the computer or drafting sketches, I have to strain to focus and sometimes can't? - So I'm hoping to get checked out here real soon. (Seems to help when I limit TV & computer time too.)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

15 Oct 2014 00:49 #6681 by octoberstormxx
Replied by octoberstormxx on topic Where is everyone?
That is scary, Dave. I really hope it's nothing bad! Maybe it's just a matter of a new eye prescription. I recently went both far-sighted and near-sighted and it was causing a whole lot of problems for me. I hope you figure it out! Definitely keep us posted!