April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Where is everyone?

11 Oct 2014 10:39 #6563 by Charlotte
Where is everyone? was created by Charlotte
:silly: The weekends on here are so absolutely quiet! What do you guys all do on weekends?

Me, I sit here and wait for someone to post :P
Well, maybe not, but it is the time of week when I'm most likely to have time to paint for more than an hour or so... And I have time for the forum and might actually get around to posting something. Why isn't that the case with anyone else? Don't tell me you ALL have so called lives?! :whistle:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Oct 2014 15:28 #6568 by sapirlapid
Replied by sapirlapid on topic Where is everyone?
I spent most of today watching Anime and reading Manga :)

11 Oct 2014 15:43 #6569 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Where is everyone?
I'm painting Oliver Cromwell. Could be worse but I wish I had weekends free - one of the many curses of being freelance.

It's also my daughter's birthday tomorrow and while we've been agonising over what to give her as a gift, she upgraded her mobile phone today and now anything she receives tomorrow will look rubbish in comparison. Bad timing methinks.

Anyway, I pop by often but because I have to log on each time, I often don't, so it may look like I'm not here but I am.

11 Oct 2014 16:18 #6570 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Where is everyone?

What do you guys all do on weekends?

I obviously can't answer that until Monday.

11 Oct 2014 17:34 #6575 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Where is everyone?
I'm going to be spending much of my time grinding some drawing fundamentals. Still lifes for the win!

@Joe A bit off topic but how do you become a freelancer? I'm stuck in a harsh day job irrelevant to art and I'm thinking of going into freelance.

11 Oct 2014 17:46 #6581 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Where is everyone?
I intend to do some traditional sketching. It's been too long!!

Plus, I spend a lot of time emailing, so it eats my weekend time sadly...

At least I'm here now!!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

11 Oct 2014 18:25 #6584 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Where is everyone?
Like Joe I frequently pop in but don't log in. I'm at least one of those guests!

Unlike Joe, I'm not painting Oliver Cromwell. In fact weekends are the only time I don't paint, unless its some tablet-poking finger doodle that just gets scrapped.

11 Oct 2014 19:06 - 11 Oct 2014 19:19 #6585 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Where is everyone?

@Joe A bit off topic but how do you become a freelancer? I'm stuck in a harsh day job irrelevant to art and I'm thinking of going into freelance.

My line is in editorial illustration so I can only speak about that really. If you are thinking about fantasy/scifi then I haven't a clue other than that the few fantasy illustrators I know mostly have agents.

Spend a lot of time building up a good portfolio - maybe two or three years (this is AFTER you have reached a good level of ability) - and then send out examples to people who you think might be interested.That's basically the starting point. Wait for replies. Request interviews if possible as face to face really does help (unless you're stupid and evil). Look at magazines to see if you can do what others are doing. Look at obscure "trade" magazines to see if they are using illustrations. My early successes were with Nursing Times magazine.

If you are lucky then offers of work will trickle in. You will either have to continue working in the day job (not good for the concentration/time) until you have a steady flow of work - or - you will have to live off savings, which is terrifying. You will have to frequently work through the night for the first ten years. Whatever you do, make sure your first efforts are impressive.

Enter competitions, they will help you cope with deadlines and pressure.
Submit entries to illustration annuals. They are actually quite good for catching the eye of art directors.
Oh, and probably most important of all at this stage, get a good portfolio site online. Do not rely on something like Deviant Art (super amateurish); it MUST be an easily navigatable site displaying your work and yours alone.
Do not work for free (unless it's a charity), you will always get nothing from it.

I could go on... ;)

11 Oct 2014 20:38 #6587 by octoberstormxx
Replied by octoberstormxx on topic Where is everyone?
I'm writing a manuscript. I'm currently applying to graduate schools for university and I have been crazy busy trying to apply to all the colleges I'm interested in. Beyond that, I'm finally getting better. After two rounds of serious antibiotics my stomach problems are finally going away. This means more time for art. Is it possible that we could do bi-weeklies again because I liked how those is used to keep my imagination going.

11 Oct 2014 20:49 #6595 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Where is everyone?

Do not work for free (unless it's a charity), you will always get nothing from it.

How profoundly true!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!