April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Guild Wars 2 Free Trial

24 Sep 2014 15:33 - 24 Sep 2014 15:34 #6366 by Charlotte
Guild Wars 2 is available to try for free for one week from Sept 25th to Oct 1st. If you're curious about the game but don't want to buy it without checking it out, now's the time :)

www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-guild-war...begins-september-25/

PS: I'm on server Whiteside Ridge in case anyone wants to pop by and say hi in-game. (Unlike a lot of other games you have to choose one server and stick to it, though you can change servers later for a fee.)

Screenie of Caithe, an NPC of the sylvari - note that the sylvari are bioluminescent! :P Copyright ArenaNet

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Sep 2014 15:55 #6367 by AngieA
Replied by AngieA on topic Guild Wars 2 Free Trial
Do you have to pay a subscription as well as paying £35 for the game? I had to Quit WoW when I was made redundant so I don't want to get into another game that I can't continue after the trial.

24 Sep 2014 16:05 #6369 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Guild Wars 2 Free Trial
You only need to pay once. You get 5 character slots on one server. You can buy things like outfits, more character slots, more bank space etc, but it's not necessary. It's one reason I prefer GW2 to WoW myself. (I played an awful lot of characters to level 20 in WoW :P)

24 Sep 2014 19:59 #6376 by AngieA
Replied by AngieA on topic Guild Wars 2 Free Trial
I might give it a look then and see if I can manage to play it on my Wacom tablet/laptop.

25 Sep 2014 08:54 #6381 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Guild Wars 2 Free Trial
SPAM, call a moderator... oh, it's you.

Is this like every other MMO, where it's mildly entertaining for the brief period that you spend levelling up, then becomes a tedious slog of repetitive grinding/farming the same areas over and over and over and...

25 Sep 2014 10:10 #6382 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Guild Wars 2 Free Trial
i'm that rubbish at being interested in games like this I had to google 'MMO' :D

give me Monkey Island any day of the week.

cept Wednesday, not on a Wednesday...

25 Sep 2014 11:24 #6384 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Guild Wars 2 Free Trial

give me Monkey Island any day of the week.

Use staple remover on tremendous dangerous-looking yak.

25 Sep 2014 13:19 #6389 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Guild Wars 2 Free Trial
that was totally a red herring :D

25 Sep 2014 14:46 #6390 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Guild Wars 2 Free Trial

SPAM, call a moderator... oh, it's you.
Is this like every other MMO, where it's mildly entertaining for the brief period that you spend levelling up, then becomes a tedious slog of repetitive grinding/farming the same areas over and over and over and...

I think different people will give different answers to that, but I read somewhere that it's supposed to take about 90 minutes per level, so it doesn't exactly get harder and harder, with more grinding to reach the next level. Personally I feel that levelling up sort of just happens while I explore and craft and such. They did make a change recently though, which I hope they will unmake. You get a "personal story" questline - previously with new quests every few levels. Some people disliked having to go exploring for a while to get to the next required level so now apparently we get all level 10-20 storyline quests as one chunk at level 20. And when you're done, you ramble about aimlessly (but still exploring and doing other "quests" and events, don't forget events!) for ten levels before you get the next part of your storyline. Personally I think the other guys could have just held off on their own questline until they could do them all in one go...

Events: There are a lot of triggered events which means that everytime you pass through a map you're likely to experience something you didn't, the last time. (Not to mention I keep finding new little caves and such... and sometimes there are big world events that changes the maps quite a bit, like when the toxic alliance attacked and built a great tower in a lake and when they were defeated the countryside around it had turned to wasteland...)

This all said it appears some people feel it gets boring after reaching level 80. I wouldn't know, I have too many characters and most of them are around level 20 :P (My highest level is 40-something)

Btw, *bops kazky and Valence for hijacking the thread* :P

03 Sep 2015 07:22 #12212 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Guild Wars 2 Free
Reviving this thread to let anyone curious about guild wars know that you can now play the game for free (since they've released an expansion it's the expansion you'd have to pay for but you can play without it)

www.guildwars2.com/en/news/play-for-free-today/