April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Newbie question about challenges

21 Aug 2014 15:35 #5473 by AngieA
I would like to know are texture overlays allowed in the challenges eg. woodgrain, stone texture etc.. or do we have to paint everything by hand! Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Aug 2014 16:22 #5474 by kazky
Textures are fine Angie
The following user(s) said Thank You: AngieA

21 Aug 2014 16:28 - 21 Aug 2014 16:39 #5475 by hansnomad
AngieA:

I do not recall any rules against using texture overlays either in this forum or in its previous incarnation at IFX. Many professional artists (including many that were featured in IFX Magazine) used texture overlays and even provided guidance in tutorials. However, just from an artistic perspective, texture overlays should be used sparingly and not overpower the painted art. Overlays are a good way to "punch up" certain areas of a painting and quickly add some interest and detail, but should be used selectively and with restraint.

I don't know if you subscribe to IFX Magazine, but in the August 2014 (page 86) there is a walk-through by artist Ed Binkley on painting Marley's ghost that uses a very prominent texture overlay for the jacket (most uses are much more subtle). I'm sure folks are divided over the use of textures, but their use is pretty standard in the illustration industry.

Here's a personal example on a piece I'm working on now called "The Soul Collector." The background is a painted base with textures brushes overlaid with a subtle concrete texture which was erased in certain areas and then with some more brush work above the texture.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: AngieA

21 Aug 2014 18:09 #5477 by AngieA
Thank you both. Hansnomad, your example is wonderful, the wall texture looks great. I do subscribe to IFX and I read that article you mentioned. I was thinking of just using overlay to suggest texture in a few areas only and then paint over it to blend it in (if I can figure out in PS how to use it in selected areas) so I'm glad it's allowed.

22 Aug 2014 08:13 #5501 by Charlotte
You might already have read the rules and found them unclear, but basically if it's not mentioned, there's no rule against it. If something happens that necessitates more rules, we'll just change them.

cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.