March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

40% off Modo - release of Modo/Mari Indie

13 Aug 2014 10:53 #5154 by Banj
40% off Modo was created by Banj
The Foundry is currently having a sale with 40% off Modo until the 27th of August: community.thefoundry.co.uk/store/modo/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Aug 2014 07:54 #5573 by rorke
Replied by rorke on topic 40% off Modo
Never worked in modo - whats your review of it and do you know of any good demo vids one could view?

25 Aug 2014 09:48 #5574 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic 40% off Modo
They have a huge number of short training videos on their site here that shows the workflow: community.thefoundry.co.uk/tv/

For me it would be up there with ZBrush as one of the most enjoyable 3D applications I've used. Modo is a good all rounder with modelling, texture painting, sculpting, animation, rendering. It is very fast and easy to get good looking renders out of it due to the large number of preset materials that are included.

Modo's sculpting is certainly not as good as ZBrush, but I don't believe that is the intention, it is definitely not bad and extremely useful to have included when modelling. The Shader Tree (Modo's unique approach to material/shading) has similarities to Photoshop's layering system and is fairly easy to understand and use, but they also implemented an integrated nodal shading system in 801.

Downsides...
Some people have complained about stability in the past (I've never really had any problems in that department and I've used the last 4 versions). They have worked very hard on improving that and most seem to agree that 801 was pretty solid on release. They normally release service updates fairly quickly (801 is already on it's second).

Another common complaint is with performance which can slow down with very complex scenes. For me it isn't much different than most other software I've used, but then I'm not dealing with the sort of scene complexity that some do.

You should be able to get access to a trial version that includes a trial of the Mesh Fusion plugin by using this link (I'll point out that supposedly I and the person using the link get some training videos or something, never used it before so I don't know if it works): community.thefoundry.co.uk/trymodo/?referral=banjaxedmdt
The following user(s) said Thank You: rorke

12 Dec 2014 10:58 #7653 by Banj
They are having another 40% off sale between 17th and 19th of December for both Modo and Mari, with other discounts for upgrades, plugins, kits, and training videos: www.thefoundry.co.uk/about-us/news-awards/modo-mari-48-hr-sale/

They have also released new cheap Indie versions of Modo and Mari on Steam (currently with %25 off) details here: www.thefoundry.co.uk/about-us/news-award...hes-modo-mari-indie/

Both look pretty interesting, Modo indie in particular as the limitations are actually pretty reasonable.

12 Dec 2014 11:25 #7655 by kazky
you are like the Santa of the art world banj :D