March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

What do you think about the new Doctor Who?

11 Aug 2014 00:09 #5073 by microscopi
I remember watching the original Dr Who with my Dad, although I didn't really understand what I was watching at the time lol

I got into the new series and was hooked for awhile, my favorite Dr was David Tennant too ( he was pretty cool in the remake of Frightnight too!) especially when they crossovered the Torchwood world. I have been meaning to catch up on Netflix too, if you subscribe to unblockus you can get it in any Country.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Aug 2014 12:50 #5366 by em...

Back when I watched Tom Baker I had no idea there were more than one doctor so when I found out (a few years ago on the old forum I think) I got this panicky feeling "There is only 12? What will they do when they've run through them all???" And from what I understand they pretty much have reached number 12? I'm not really keeping up, but I think it's a strange limitation... Especially with frequent changes. But maybe when Dr Who was created nobody thought the series would still be ongoing at this point...

There can be 12 regenerations, so 13 incarnations of a Time Lord's regeneration cycle.

At the end of Matt Smith's last episode, he was given a whole new regeneration cycle by the Time Lords, so he's got another run of 12 - there is a precedence of this happening previously with The Master being offered similar in The Five Doctors, and having got some kind or renewed cycle (although unspecified) during the Time War too.

19 Aug 2014 15:56 #5371 by Charlotte
Good to know em, thanks! :) I can sleep easily now ;)

Though I have to say it's a little silly to first impose a limitation and then invent a solution... (I guess it's what authors do all the time: get your characters in trouble and then get them out of it somehow, but I feel there's a difference between getting a character arrested or something and declaring a limit of the above sort...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

21 Aug 2014 13:26 - 21 Aug 2014 13:28 #5470 by Joe
Here's a bit of trivia that's not totally unrelated to Dr. Who and CG Art - Pete Capaldi was in a band (The Dreamboys) with illustrator Iain McCaig while at art school. Pete is actually an excellent illustrator too (1st Class BA Hons). They were in the year above me. Our year were shit.

I don't like Dr.Who by the way.

21 Aug 2014 15:02 #5472 by octoberstormxx
The regeneration thing made no sense to me either. I think it was so it rid not have too many seasons. Now that they are making good money of Doctor Who products though who would do that? More money!

22 Aug 2014 13:10 #5510 by em...
The idea of regeneration in the first place came about because of the need to replace the increasing frail William Hartnell, although his change into Patrick Troughton was referred to as a "renewal" (and elsewhere as a "rejuvenation", indicating that the original idea was that it was a younger version of the same Doctor). The second regeneration (from Troughton to Pertwee) was initiated by the Time Lords and happened off screen. It wasn't called a "regeneration" either - it was called a"change of appearance".

The first true "regeneration" in name (I think) was Perwee to Tom Baker, although all the previous changes have subsequently been referred to as being also regenerations.

The concept of the maximum of 13 different incarnations for Time Lords didn't appear until the Tom Baker story "The Deadly Assasin", and subsequently became canon, being repeated several times since.

22 Aug 2014 15:21 #5512 by kazky

I don't like Dr.Who by the way.

Same here

22 Aug 2014 15:28 #5513 by em...
One of my earliest memories is of Doctor Who, but I'm not sure if it was a late Jon Pertwee episode (1973-ish) or a TV showing from around that time of the first of the Peter Cushing Dr Who movies - I remember the Doctor entering a room and being surrounded by Daleks.

I've been a fan ever since.

22 Aug 2014 15:33 #5514 by Charlotte
One of MY earliest memories is of the floor boards in the house I lived between 6 months and 4 years of age... Guess we all appreciate different things :P (But no, I don't know as much about floors as em... obviously does about Dr Who)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

22 Aug 2014 15:41 #5515 by Banj

One of MY earliest memories is of the floor boards in the house I lived between 6 months and 4 years of age...

Your parents sealed you up between the floorboards?