March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

What do you think about the new Doctor Who?

01 Aug 2014 21:40 #4674 by Digital Dave
Just wanted to know what everyone might think about the new Doctor (Peter Capaldi) for the new season of Doctor Who which is scheduled to be starting soon? I've only seen him in the one episode he was in with David Tennant, (who I really liked as the doctor) in the episode 'The fires of Pompeii". Other then this, I haven't seen him in anything else, so don't have anything to judge him by. But for some reason, he doesn't seem to fit the role? At least what scenes I've seen him in. I may be completely wrong, and he might be great at it? But thought to ask in case anyone else might have seen his work with other shows. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Aug 2014 22:16 #4675 by Kynamh
I don't have an immediate impression yet. David Tennant was my favorite of the few I'd seen, but I'm not much of a Doctor Who fan. It's amusing and I'll watch it if it happens to be on, but I'm certainly not a card-carrying member of the fandom.

I don't think I've seen Peter Capaldi in anything before.

02 Aug 2014 05:25 - 02 Aug 2014 22:48 #4690 by octoberstormxx
Not a fan yet. I am a die hard Christopher Eccleston fan though and nobody I know seems to like him. So I think I am already the odd one out. I was not a big fan of Matt Smith though so I am glad to move on although I was devastated by the loss of Karen Gillan.

02 Aug 2014 12:04 #4698 by Charlotte
I wish that show would run here in Sweden - I wouldn't mind if they started from way back in the beginning either. I used to watch the episodes with Tom *goes to google* Baker as a kid but after that I've only seen a few episodes with Eccleston (didn't mind him, don't particularly like Billie Piper though - didn't like her in the Sally Lockhart Mysteries either, though that may be because I didn't particularly like the mysteries themselves :P)

Anyway I'd like to see more of the show though I was so little when I watched Tom Baker (and "Sarah", who sometimes got on my nerves too) that I didn't really understand everything that was going on. Never liked the Dalek much either. Boring design. (Sorry, whoever designed them.)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Aug 2014 14:16 #4707 by Digital Dave
Dumb question, but can you get Netflix where you're located? For $8 a month, you can stream all of them. ... I never watched the earlier shows that you mentioned above, only seeing a brief clip here and there, but never got into it. (was when I was around 15 or so) - But really like the new episodes that started back up in 2005, with Christopher Eccleston. I didn't like it when he was replaced him either, but really enjoyed David Tennant's time as the Doctor. I wasn't sure about Matt Smith when he started either, but he seemed to really fit the roll after a while, and think he worked quite nicely with Amy & Rory.

02 Aug 2014 18:11 #4713 by Charlotte
I think we have netflix - I just prefer good old television and having to wait for the next episode for some reason :P

02 Aug 2014 20:40 #4717 by evilrobot
Matt Smith was my favorite Doctor and I loved the cast of those episodes so much Karen Gillan...hubba hubba........I don't think American TV watchers can handle the changing cast thing.....we're just too stubborn. I haven't watched a single episode since they changed the cast.

02 Aug 2014 22:49 #4724 by octoberstormxx
Haha, I know what you mean evilrobot. I sob every time the cast changes, AGAIN.

02 Aug 2014 23:19 - 02 Aug 2014 23:20 #4726 by Digital Dave
Yeah, the cast changing can be a pain, but I've been dealing with it so far. :) (Only show that I know of that does this as well) ... Hell, I hate when they make a sequel or series where they change the cast from season to season, or with the next movie.

03 Aug 2014 08:34 #4740 by Charlotte
Back when I watched Tom Baker I had no idea there were more than one doctor so when I found out (a few years ago on the old forum I think) I got this panicky feeling "There is only 12? What will they do when they've run through them all???" And from what I understand they pretty much have reached number 12? I'm not really keeping up, but I think it's a strange limitation... Especially with frequent changes. But maybe when Dr Who was created nobody thought the series would still be ongoing at this point...