March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Kaz's stuff

10 Oct 2017 07:19 #18539 by kazky
Kaz's stuff was created by kazky
I've been doing a painting for a lady who's caique (parrot) recently died. Her daughter was devastated and she didn't have a picture of the girl and caique together so wanted one painting. I'm as happy as I can be with it at my skill level, I'm quite happy with the skin for once!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Oct 2017 07:41 #18543 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Kaz's stuff
Aw I'm sure they'll be happy with the pic. The face and the birb and the background all look fine to me, though I feel that there's something "too simple" about the shouldes and dress area. But perhaps her er... clavicles?... don't show in your reference either...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Oct 2017 08:13 #18546 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Kaz's stuff
yep that's true, unfortunately I had one ref with bare shoulders and it was just sunlit, I had no idea where to place them so I left them out not wanting them to be incorrect.

10 Oct 2017 08:23 #18548 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Kaz's stuff
Looks quite nice and good to see some work from you too. :) But also agree, the dress doesn't appear to be finished? Might be the sharper edges, but also no shadowing where it goes into the armpit area, which would help set it in place.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

10 Oct 2017 14:04 #18555 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Kaz's stuff
:ohmy: finally. :thumbup:

I would agree with the others that the neck and shoulders lack definition. That's where having multiple references helps with seeing stuff that is missing in one. I also think the hair could be a little more refined.

Dem parrots is tricksy to paint.

10 Oct 2017 14:55 #18559 by kazky
I agree with all points, and annoyed I didn't do something with them. I honestly think I might give this lark up, I don't think i'll ever be able to complete a decent pic & each time I don't just depresses me a bit more.

The parrot of course was my fav thing though! :)

10 Oct 2017 15:04 #18563 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Kaz's stuff
:shakefist: No giving up kaz! the more you paint the better you'll do, you know that! And you've not been doing much for ages, of course it's going to take a while before you get your mojo back. (Painting mojo, not Austin Powers mojo)

I think the sheen on the dress fabric is lovely. So, it's the shulders themselves that need a bit more definition/3D feeling :) Maybe all it needs is a bit of shadow or a highlight?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Oct 2017 15:07 #18566 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Kaz's stuff

I honestly think I might give this lark up

:nope:

10 Oct 2017 15:11 #18568 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Kaz's stuff
Don't give it up just as we're getting excited by a new Kazky painting!

I think you've handled the colours really well. I can never control bright saturated tones like that and repeating them in the background and the feathers creates a lovely harmony to the image.
The girl has a nice, natural expression, especially with the structure of the lower eyelids, which a lot of people forget about and leave out.
And that parrot eye is fantastic!

10 Oct 2017 17:58 #18587 by kazky
I guess i’m just being dramatic, it just makes me really despondent & I should be better after all this time. I feel like I really try hard & then when I don’t nail it, I don’t want to do it again cos it’s all just hard work. I’ll get over it i’m sure though :)