April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

em...'s caricatures

16 Jan 2017 08:17 #15116 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic em...'s caricatures
agree with Val, the Bruce Willis is particularly painfully good!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jan 2017 23:15 #15153 by em...
Replied by em... on topic em...'s caricatures
Thank you both.

The Rainn WIlson was a brave choice. The last thing I'd want to do to get a likeness is to cover up their recognisable features but you've still managed to get him with just the eyes and mouth.

Super is what I'm most familiar with him from, and it seemed a nice challenge.

Next five:

Paul Rudd.

Robert Downey Jr.

Chris Hemsworth.

Kristen Stewart.

Jesse Eisenberg.

23 Jan 2017 09:41 #15155 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic em...'s caricatures
They all look great, as usual :)
I was looking in on the caricature group on FB and it seemed a lot of people found Paul Rudd really difficult. I must have seen your version a day or two before that and didn't actually remember it, but decided to try a sketch of my own. Mine turned out crappy, but the overall features (I see now) were pretty much the same as on your version. Maybe I was just remembering yours without being aware :P Anyhow I think you captured him really well.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

12 Feb 2017 22:36 #15253 by em...

They all look great, as usual :)
I was looking in on the caricature group on FB and it seemed a lot of people found Paul Rudd really difficult. I must have seen your version a day or two before that and didn't actually remember it, but decided to try a sketch of my own. Mine turned out crappy, but the overall features (I see now) were pretty much the same as on your version. Maybe I was just remembering yours without being aware :P Anyhow I think you captured him really well.

Paul Rudd seems to have been probably the most problematic for the biggest number of people. He's not got the most obvious face, and there's no particular stand out feature to act as a 'hook' for the rest. It's really about getting the subtleties and specifics of his face right.

The next five:

Emma Stone.

Jonah Hill.

Michael Cera.

Anna Kendrick.

Rebel Wilson.

13 Feb 2017 16:22 #15254 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic em...'s caricatures
Love the Rebel Wilson, she always has so much expression in her face!

I always get Jesse Eisenberg confused with Michael Cera and yet they look so very different here and both are very recognisable in different ways.

I'm also impressed and frustrated at how you've managed to maintain your usual level of quality throughout despite the quick turnover.

13 Feb 2017 21:25 #15255 by em...

Love the Rebel Wilson, she always has so much expression in her face!

I don't think I've ever seen her in a movie, just on Graham Norton's chat show, but she was one of my favourites to draw.

I always get Jesse Eisenberg confused with Michael Cera and yet they look so very different here and both are very recognisable in different ways.

That was a common comment amongst the participants. They do have some crossover in the types or roles they play.

I'm also impressed and frustrated at how you've managed to maintain your usual level of quality throughout despite the quick turnover.

I found that the time restraint actually worked in my favour. There was No time for overthinking or self doubt, I just had to operate on instinct, and it mostly worked out.

Next five:

Ben Stiller.

Will Ferrell.

John C Reilly.

Vin Diesel.

Dwayne Johnson.

25 Feb 2017 18:43 #15349 by em...
The final batch:

Mark Wahlberg.

Amanda Seyfried.

Cara Delevingne.

Elle Fanning.

Whoopi Goldberg.

Anthony Hopkins.

25 Feb 2017 20:45 #15357 by Charlotte
Wish I could offer any useful or crit or feedback but they're all good :P
I really like how the "paper colour" is the same as their basic skin tone. I guess it saves time when painting too but it looks real nice as well.

25 Feb 2017 21:21 #15358 by em...

I really like how the "paper colour" is the same as their basic skin tone. I guess it saves time when painting too but it looks real nice as well.

That's something I (with very few exceptions) always do. The skin tone's the most important thing to get right, so I start with that when painting colour.

25 Feb 2017 21:23 #15359 by Charlotte
I've noticed :) But I don't think I mentined it before. And I really do think it helps not just with the skin but also to unify the whole portrait. Seems a good practice for more than one reason :)