April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

em...'s caricatures

05 Jan 2017 23:18 #15035 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic em...'s caricatures

Spanish caricaturist and illustrator Maria Picasso I Piquer

I've always liked her vector work. So clean and effective.

One a day, though? :ohmy: That's a tough ask, but I too would love to see them posted. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jan 2017 09:33 #15036 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic em...'s caricatures
Honestly i'm following this on facebook and the standard is just too good, how people have the time to do such good dailies is beyond me, i'm not sure who posted the Arnie one yesterday but bloody hell, it was amazing!

06 Jan 2017 09:49 #15037 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic em...'s caricatures
I think it'd be fun to do something similar here - though without a time limit perhaps? But post a list (the same list would be fine with me) and people can do caricatures of the people on that list in their own time and order throughout the year? (Maybe em... would prefer another list :P)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

06 Jan 2017 17:13 #15038 by em...
Replied by em... on topic em...'s caricatures

Spanish caricaturist and illustrator Maria Picasso I Piquer

I've always liked her vector work. So clean and effective.

Her ability to distill a likeness down to simple geometric shapes is remarkable

Honestly i'm following this on facebook and the standard is just too good, how people have the time to do such good dailies is beyond me, i'm not sure who posted the Arnie one yesterday but bloody hell, it was amazing!

Before it started I fully expected the entries to be very rough sketches, but it's amazing how much time and effort is going into some of the caricatures. It's made me up my game from my first two.

The diversity in styles is very inspirational too. I think quite a lot of caricaturists who don't necessarily draw or paint in a realistically representational way have become somewhat disillusioned with some of the other online caricature contests that always seem to be won by the more photoreal entries, but they seem to be really embracing the January challenge - maybe because it's a non competitive celebration of the art.

I think it'd be fun to do something similar here - though without a time limit perhaps? But post a list (the same list would be fine with me) and people can do caricatures of the people on that list in their own time and order throughout the year? (Maybe em... would prefer another list :P)

Like an open-ended workshop kind of thing, where people could dip in and out as they pleased? Could be good.

Here's the first five from the January Daily Challenge

Danny DeVito.

Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Uma Thurman.

Quentin Tarantino.

Samuel L Jackson

06 Jan 2017 17:58 #15039 by Charlotte

Like an open-ended workshop kind of thing, where people could dip in and out as they pleased? Could be good.

Yes! :)

And I had only been seeing your entries, so I went and looked at the group entries. I agree that some of the more stylistic or geometric or whatever caricatures are quite amazing. And I prefer them to some of the "photoreal" that kind of looked like distorted and blurred photos rather than actual paintings, too :P

06 Jan 2017 19:21 #15040 by kazky
We need more footfall here, but that would be amazing

06 Jan 2017 19:43 #15041 by Charlotte
Agreed, but since it's no contest and no deadline but the end of the year, maybe the lack of people won't matter so much? :)

06 Jan 2017 20:56 #15042 by kazky
Love it, lets do it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 Jan 2017 19:19 #15112 by em...
Replied by em... on topic em...'s caricatures
The next five in the monthly caricature challenge.

Bruce Willis.

Liv Tyler.

Elijah Wood.

Rainn Wilson (in Super).

Steve Carell.

16 Jan 2017 01:20 #15114 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic em...'s caricatures
All painfully good!
The Rainn WIlson was a brave choice. The last thing I'd want to do to get a likeness is to cover up their recognisable features but you've still managed to get him with just the eyes and mouth. Amazing!