April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Mori's Finished dabbles

14 Jun 2015 00:27 #11162 by Morisith
Just as a PSA - My finished works will most likely never look finished. I am very bad at the finishing touches and polishing - and it's still super tedious. So! The images here can still have a lot of improvements done - and I know this. However I need to also be able so say "this is what I am cabable of at this moment" post it up and then moveup and hopefully keep improving ^~^

so, with that out of the way, I'll post my first image^^ It's of a "Baku" Or a dreameater - that have the trunk of an elephant, eye of a rhino, paws of a tiger and tail of an ox. I gave it the head of a Tapir as I feel those mix the elephant and rhino nicely (and Tapirs are way cooler <3)

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jun 2015 19:28 #11232 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Mori's Finished dabbles
The higher contrasts are a big help in seeing this creature! Nice work!

But, I would say that you really should try and discipline yourself to do those "tedious" finishing touches. Skipping out on any aspect of your development will not help you improve!!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

16 Jun 2015 18:40 - 16 Jun 2015 18:41 #11286 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Mori's Finished dabbles
Before I saw this picture developing I'd never heard of a Baku (apart from the one in Azerbaijan where some sporting event is happening!) but thanks to you I now know better. :)
And I do like the dreamy quality that you've given this picture using the colour scheme. The sharp geometry of the foreground contrasts well with the softer haze and halo in the background and there's a real sense of the imposing creature quietly tiptoeing through the sleeping city in search of dreams.

06 Jul 2015 04:44 #11669 by Morisith
Replied by Morisith on topic Mori's Finished dabbles
I kinda dropped off the edge of the earth there for June D:

Thanks Domtopia ^^ And yeah, I really should... don't to but I gotta :P I've recently done a lot of flat works as they are just to line and colour which is far more addicting that painting to me, but I will work on getting better at all aspects :)

Thanks, It was a gamble for me but it turned out better than I thought ^^; And I didn't know of that one Valence, so then we both learned something xD

New One;

This character is actually called Morisith, he is my most precious creation and I hope to one day have a tattoo of him too. I can't really explain why, but he is just my baby and I some times even call him my son. So I finished up a reference sheet for him;

File Attachment:

06 Jul 2015 20:48 #11684 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Mori's Finished dabbles
This is interesting. It looks like a mashup of Egyptian hieroglyphs and a Lascaux style cave painting.
Does the character represent something special to you?

10 Jul 2015 22:06 #11724 by Morisith
Replied by Morisith on topic Mori's Finished dabbles

And yes, I often call Mori my son/baby because I adore him so much. Originally he had fur and a normal body, but due to his fear of death he actually managed to refused it - and is therefore slowly rotting away fully alive and have to add mix and match parts to his body to sustain it. He also got the halo as he got a job by death itself and is helping out lost souls. So for me he is kinda a representation of fears - but also wisdom and guidance