April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN June 23 - Atlantis - Final entries

01 Jun 2023 10:09 - 09 Jul 2023 16:30 #45723 by Banj
Atlantis

Brief:
The lost city, the man from, depict something related to the title.

Deadline: Midnight on Friday the 30th of June. 

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...une-23-atlantis-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - BANJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jun 2023 17:12 #46016 by Valence
AT....  
LAN...  
TIS.  

And it's best not to waste any thought wondering about the apparent scale of those little fishies. :dry:
Attachments:

01 Jul 2023 10:54 - 01 Jul 2023 10:54 #46055 by Charlotte
It's the 1st of the month and voting is open. As usual, everyone is allowed one vote and we'll try to remember to end the vote after July 8th. So before then, please tell us your favourite of Banj's and Val's takes on Atlantis, preferably with a bit of feedback thrown in :)

Edit: new challenge will be posted as soon as we've decided on a new theme :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Jul 2023 12:35 #46056 by Banj
Valence.

I wasn't entirely certain he was going for an underwater scene from his initial WIPs, but the idea inspired mine. I wanted to put some large crumbling statues in mine but resisted the urge as Valence already had some in his. It also depicts some actual city which I kind of left mostly hidden.

01 Jul 2023 14:30 #46059 by Valence
And I vote Banj.
I think it's an excellent composition with the symmetry of the structure combining with that off-centre crack of light shining down. Also it looks like a real, believable space with the stairway leading to in to the picture and the subtlety of the enveloping tentacles adds an ominous mysterious mood to a scene that already has a cinematic drama to it.
The whole image works successfully at all scales rather than just being a collection of details.
And of course it's always nice when your fishies are not the same size as buildings like in some foolish pictures. :dry:

08 Jul 2023 10:32 #46172 by Charlotte
And I almost forgot to vote. Again. :dumb:

I think I vote Banj. It might not be a city but it has a distinct underwater and mystery feel. Valence's might be a city but to be honest I can't help but see some sort of alien souvenir shelf with little knick knacks collected from various places on earth, like the pyramids, etc. I know it's not what it's supposed to be even if I love that idea too - it just doesn't scream Atlantis, at me. :dry: Maybe if you used capital letters? :dumb:

09 Jul 2023 16:29 #46204 by Banj
So I guess that makes me the winner this month  Congratulations I 

09 Jul 2023 16:56 #46206 by Charlotte
Congrats! :)

09 Jul 2023 18:41 #46208 by Valence
Well Done, Banj! :aha: