March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Oct 2022 - Fruitants - Final entries

01 Oct 2022 14:50 - 01 Oct 2022 14:51 #42249 by Banj
Fruitants 

Brief: Fruitants (not Fruit Ants  ). Scientists have been messing with the natural order of things again and have spliced animals and fruit into insane mutant... fruitant creatures. They were so obsessed with whether they could and how tasty they would be, that they didn't consider whether they should. Take some fruit (or vegetables if you prefer) and splice them with animals to create freakish hybrids. 

Deadline: Midnight Monday the 31st of October.  

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-2022-fruitants-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Oct 2022 12:03 #42714 by Charlotte

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

30 Oct 2022 21:02 #42733 by Valence
Attachments:

01 Nov 2022 13:51 #42765 by Banj
Voting is open, please post your vote for your favourite of the following entries:
  • Segujo
  • Charlotte
  • Valence
Voting will end at Midnight of Tuesday the 8th of November.

01 Nov 2022 18:15 #42774 by Valence
Well I won't be voting for Banj... because he didn't finish! :shakefist:

And it was coming along great too. I didn't really understand it from the line drawing (I always have trouble visualizing linework) but seeing that muzzle shape of the mouth develop into an orange with inner segments was fantastic.

A lovely idea from Charlotte too. The visual pun is instantly recognisable and I found myself saying it out loud to myself as soon as I saw it while excitedly pointing at the screen. :)
And all done so quickly and efficiently. The background has a delicate watercolour feel to the gradient and I love the way that the legs seamlessly transform into the roots in a very natural way, plus the colours and shading are so clean and fresh to give a graphic quality to the image.

And I'm glad we all collectively pressured segujo into posting in the finals thread. :lol:
Such an amazing rendition of texture. Tomato skin is such an odd surface, so shiny and visually smooth and yet also with a harshness to touch and you've captured all of that here. That little touch of warm yellow towards the lighter parts of the gradient is absolutely beautiful and gives the creature, and the flesh, a visible life. The tail/stalk is recognisably rendered to give yet more explanation to the hybrid and that piercing sharp highlight on the seed of the eye is the perfect finish.

So, I am going to vote for segujo simply because every time I look at that texture I'm instantly reminded of slivers of tomato skin that I constantly have to pick out of my teeth. :)

01 Nov 2022 18:46 #42775 by Charlotte
I will not vote for Banj either :stare:
I suspected the line drawing would become the inner thingies of an orange, but the drawing looked a bit creepy. The coloured version might have ended up quite cute, though, had it finished. And imagine just having to suck your own teeth whenever you're thirsty :P

I do love the hippopotomato and the idea of making the eye like a seed works very well for such a plant.

But while I might want to take a bite out of Segujo's hippo, I think my vote will go to Valence. Both for the idea and for the execution, as this image is finished to a much greater degree than any of our others. I love how it's flying around in it's "natural environment" with the sun and the flowers. And it's furry. And the wings turned out great. And the legs still look a bit like liquorice. :woohoo:

As for the background of my horse radish that was really just an accident... I tried to make some sort of gradient, wasn't too happy with it and used the blending/frosting tool and it made this weird circular shape that wasn't really there before (neither the circle nor the colour, really) but I kind of liked it so I left it. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

09 Nov 2022 13:05 - 09 Nov 2022 13:07 #42868 by Banj
Voting should be over right now, but we are left with a tied vote with one vote for Segujo and one for Valence (and two for not me ). I'll have to have a think about which one to vote for as a decider (unless someone comes in and does that in the mean time}.

hmm, think think think...

09 Nov 2022 14:47 #42869 by Valence
No decider needed.
Congratulations not-Banj! :cheer:

A deserved win. :aha:

09 Nov 2022 14:55 #42870 by Banj
I think they were negative votes not voting for me, so I'm technically in debt now