March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Sept 2022 - GoT - Final entries

01 Sep 2022 11:05 - 01 Oct 2022 12:51 #41918 by Banj
Game of Thrones

Brief:
 Create a piece of artwork based on Game of Thrones (you may use either the TV or book series as inspiration).

Deadline: Midnight Friday the 30th of September.  VOTING OPEN UNTIL MIDNIGHT ON THE 8TH OF OCTOBER

This thread is where you post your final entries , WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...an-aug-2022-got-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Sep 2022 11:42 #42188 by Valence
Choices.  
Bad Choices.  

I am the watcher on the wall.
I am the paintbrush in the night, the hider of hands and distorter of doggie faces. I shall hold no talent or skill and no imagination or originality shall corrupt my work.
I shall post a day early for I fear no deadline.
And now my painting is ended. :stare:

Attachments:

01 Oct 2022 12:50 #42233 by Banj
Voting is now open in this here challenge here  all will end when winter comes... or when the 9th day of this month begins, whichever comes first.

01 Oct 2022 14:28 #42247 by Valence
I vote for Banj.
A lovely classical pose over the shoulder to engage us with that gaze and those piercing eyes filled with that icy cool light.
I like how you've captured a sense of movement in the hair as if she's caught in the action of turning towards us and the way you've introduced those delicate pink hues into the skin is beautiful and gives the character a feeling of life.

Which Rebelle brushes did you use for the colouring? :hmm:
My attempts at blending always look much harsher than this.

01 Oct 2022 16:31 #42261 by Banj
A vote for Valence.

The stern look on their faces suggests there is something dramatic going on behind us and it all looks suitably cold and icy. Despite your complaints about dog legs the wold came out very well (even if you did you best to obscure his feetsies). The perspective on the figures could maybe be a little more exaggerated, but it's a tricky pose as he's above us but leaning down toward us. And I like that stormy sky with the birds.

In answer to the question: I may be wrong as I don't remember exactly, but after having a look just now I think I started with Express Oils/Glazing/Wash (or maybe round). I switched part way through to the Oils and Acrylics and maybe the round soft  or round soft 2 flipping between brush set to painting or blend only for blending (I may have used paint and mix at some point).

Right at the end I flattened everything and moved to Corel Painter to do some finishing work where I feel a little more control and used the glazing brushes, just add water blender, and some crayon or pastels. I did a final colour correction in Photoshop to lighten her skin a touch so it wasn't the same colour as the background.

01 Oct 2022 17:10 #42263 by Charlotte
And I vote for..... Valence
I'd have voted for you both but I suspect Banj would have me banned if I caused a tie... :dry:
I think Banj's image is a nice take on the white walkers, more like the books than the TV series. But Val's pic does seem a bit more ambitious composition wise (might have something to do with him starting earlier? :whistle:)

I think maybe the wolf is standing at the same level as Jon's lifted foot, thought that's a bit nitpicky. It's a suitably impressive size for a direwolf :) And I too like the addition of crows in the sky. Crows for the crows :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Oct 2022 17:39 #42264 by Valence

I think maybe the wolf is standing at the same level as Jon's lifted foot...

:ohmy:
I never noticed that before and now it looks silly. 
Maybe Jon Snow's other leg is just in a big hole. :oops: :giggle:

And Banj, the Just Add Water makes sense for that soft blending. I still think that particular tool is by far the best thing about Painter. :aha:

10 Oct 2022 13:56 #42415 by Banj
Congratulations Valence, another win 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

10 Oct 2022 14:53 #42417 by Charlotte
Congrats Val :D

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence