April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN July 2022 - AI - Final entries

01 Aug 2022 11:51 - 01 Aug 2022 11:51 #41582 by Banj
A.I. (Artificial Intelligence)

Brief:
 Translate the title into astounding artistry.

Deadline: Midnight Wednesday the 31st of August.  

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (Work In Progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...an-july-2022-ai-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Aug 2022 22:31 - 31 Aug 2022 16:30 #41884 by Valence
Think I'm done with this even though there's still one more day...

2D--->3D  

I obviously went back to Eevee but if I somehow get a free 40 minutes tomorrow on the final day I may try a Cycles render but it's much more likely that I won't bother. :P

Attachments:

01 Sep 2022 06:10 #41916 by Charlotte
:woohoo:
We have two entries! Now go ahead and vote for each other! Anyone else seeing this is welcome to vote too, as we all know how the hamster hates ties.

Did the poll work again? :dumb: I can't recall. Vote between Val and Banj!

Voting closes Sept. 8th. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Sep 2022 15:55 #41929 by Valence
One vote for Banj's Brain. :stare:

Part of me would like a few more folds and wrinkles in there but then again the smoother areas successfully manage to give a more artificial feel to it, especially with those lovely highlights on the underside, so it's probably the right choice to do it the way you did. :aha:
And great work on those sprawling cables reaching out like curious tentacles around the tiny figures. :thumbup:

01 Sep 2022 17:47 #41931 by Banj
Well if you are going to vote for me then I'm going to vote for you  One vote for Valence

You who actually took the time and effort to do it properly. I like the green Matrixy stuff controlling the robot puppet dude thing without it being just the typical matrix rain that we've seen before. I also like the little Tron dudes (is the little  green ghost Tron dude meant to be there or is he an accident?).

01 Sep 2022 18:41 #41932 by Valence
Green Tron Dude?
*goes back to check*
Yes. Yes, I definitely meant it. :paranoid: :S

Actually no. :lol:
If you mean the green blob below the foot that's actually just a specular reflection of a fill light just behind the puppet.
As I mentioned I was torn between the two renderers. Eevee doesn't do indirect lighting so the shadows defining the form can be a bit harsh with minimal lights. Cycles, being a proper ray tracer, does all kinds of lighting but, with the entire green texture being emissive, it lit up the puppet like a Christmas tree from all angles and that looked rather flat. So, I stuck to Eevee and faked the surrounding glow with a couple of extra, short radius point lights around his feet and one of those seems to be creating an extra foreground glow that could be a head.

However, if you mean another green Tron dude.... I can't even see that one. :dumb:

Therefore it's happy accidents all the way. :)

01 Sep 2022 18:56 #41933 by Banj

​​​​​​​
Attachments:

01 Sep 2022 19:30 #41934 by Valence
:lol:

Also while searching for this accidental fellow I noticed that the deliberately eyeless Tron dude on the right seems to have two green eyes looking over his shoulders. :blink:
Perhaps this is what AI art is. Just create random procedural textures and find pictures inside them. :dumb:

04 Sep 2022 08:30 #41947 by Charlotte
I guess I should vote too...
I like the way Banj's picture reminds me of a bomb cloud - it adds an ominous feeling to this AI thing. It might "blow up in our faces". But my vote goes to Valence with the little wooden dummy, who seems more alive than the silhouettes around it, even though they seem to be controlling it. It's thought provoking and I think the green "code stuff" ended up loooking quite well in the end, even if it's not exactly how you wanted it.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.