Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN May 2022 - Dinosaur Race - Final Entries

01 May 2022 17:50 - 01 May 2022 18:00 #40520 by Banj
Dinosaur Race

Brief:
 Interpret the title in art

Deadline: Midnight on the 31st of May. 

This thread is where you post your  final entries, WIPs should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...0-dinosaur-race-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 May 2022 18:54 - 30 May 2022 18:34 #40865 by Banj
I originally intended to do something with a bit more action and actual racing, but ended up going with the build up to a race instead for some reason. I'm tempted to carry on and paint over it and finish it properly, but this is as far as it is going for now.

EDIT- I've replaced my final with an updated and cleaned up version.

A ridiculous number of WIPs as there wasn't really much else going on in the thread.

WIP 1: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=20#40665
WIP 2: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=20#40668
WIP 3: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=20#40711
WIP 4: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=30#40727
WIP 5: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=30#40730
WIP 6: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=30#40736
WIP 7: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=30#40770
WIP 8: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=40#40775
WIP 9: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=40#40776
WIP 10: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=50#40788
WIP 11: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=50#40852

Final (somewhat):

Attachments:

29 May 2022 21:13 #40875 by Valence
I'm also gonna post a day or two early, mainly because there have been quite a few power cuts round here recently and knowing my luck there'll be another one before the deadline. :eyeroll:
So...

1: Lots Of Wips.  
2: Oh, and one more.  

It's a race.... for survival! :stare:

Attachments:

01 Jun 2022 06:31 #40895 by Charlotte
I hereby declare the voting open!
Choose your favorite in this dinosaur race! :)

As usual you have until the 8th of June or whenever we remember to tally the count.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Jun 2022 11:14 #40899 by Banj
A vote for Valence. It's got numerous dinosaurs (and flying non-dinosaurs ), has a story going on, and I like the guy on the right pointing and shouting at the others to warn them about the asteroid about the hit the Paramount logo. The environment worked out well after all the effort. Action packed.

01 Jun 2022 11:55 - 01 Jun 2022 11:58 #40903 by Valence
And I vote Banj!
As with all your 3D stuff the lighting and textures are fantastic. Everything looks so natural and coherent in a way that makes the whole scene believable. I really like the composition you've chosen too. Putting the camera in the right place to pick out the best edges is something I get rather frustrated with, so much easier to do that with 2D painting, but this has a wonderful rhythm and flow, giving the necessary prominence to the well sculpted dinos while also complementing that with the riders and that little encouraging gesture at the back.
The one minor gripe I would have is with the rigging of the back rider. That transition from the armpit into the narrow torso does look a little awkward and squished in that particular pose but I do feel like a complete fraud offering criticism about rigging when I just use the default settings. :P

And a quick mention for Charlotte's well-sketched dinos and the lovely way they interacted while dashing towards us. Finish! :stare:

01 Jun 2022 12:03 #40906 by Charlotte
Be nice, Val, or I might not help untie your vote. No staring at my dinos. :dry:

06 Jun 2022 16:51 #40987 by Charlotte
I'm still trying to decide who to vote for. Wish someone else would come in and cast a deciding vote :dry:

Both images have their merits, two different kinds of races and two different kinds of feathers. I think maybe a combination of the two kinds of feathers might actually come closest to accuracy, but not having been there back in the day, I can't be certain...

I like the interaction in both pieces, the tranquil one before the race in Banj's and the urgent one in Val's.

I guess I am going to vote for Banj, though. I like the "hey, how can those guys ride dinos, they didn't even live at the same time - is this time travel or aliens?" thing going on. The helpers (they're probably called something else, much more professional sounding...) looking humanoid but having strange heads to emphasize the "possibly alien" vibe. Or they're wearing some funny looking masks/hats :dry:

Anyway, yeah, my vote goes to Banj. I think. :S

09 Jun 2022 11:57 #41011 by Charlotte
I hereby declare that it's past the 8th and that Banj is the winner. :stare:

Congrats Banj :)

09 Jun 2022 13:17 #41012 by Valence
Well done, Banj! :rock: